Best Buy to hold digital crossover workshops, push HDTVs

Blue shirted benefactors of humanity and sephirim guiding us all upon the path of technological enlightenment that they be, Best Buy will be hosting workshops in 25 of its stores around the country to “educate consumers about the transition to digital television broadcasting and help them choose the best solution for their television needs.”

In reality, though, it is hard to imagine these will be anything but elaborate sales presentations trying to sell people expensive HDTVs. Best Buy and other big box retailers has been using the digital transition (and the public’s lack of education about it) to sell unnecessary televisions for months.

I mean, hell, what is there to really hold a workshop about? If you’ve got cable — which approximately 80 percent of Americans do — you don’t need to worry about anything. If you’re still sucking in broadcast waves via bunny ears, you do. And that box is not a $1500 plasma.

Blue Shirts to solve digital TV transition [Crave]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Best Buy to hold digital crossover workshops, push HDTVs

1. SeppTB says:

Seems like a good chance for some gadget loving folks with extra time who actually know what the digital transition is all about to attend to make sure that it doesn’t turn into an HDTV sales pitch. My city isn’t one of the 25 – too bad. I love an opportunity to correct a box store sales person.

2. mdh says:

Ryan, I live a half hour from Boston and I get maybe 3 channels well and 3 more rather poorly OTA. But really, I could care less if my tv stops working.

3. LagerVsAle says:

How can anyone not be aware of the transition and required steps I don’t know. My local TV station has scrolling tickers every hour and vignettes on the local news every evening. Actually funny is that this morning they were finally honest saying that even with a converter box reception might not be good enough to receive a digital signal even if you currently receive a good analog signal.

4. Ryan Waddell says:

I’m shocked that fully 20% of Americans use OTA to receive their TV. I wonder what the percentage is up here in Canada – I don’t know ANYBODY who uses antenna to receive TV up here except for at their cottage… But I guess that’s because we have a whopping… 3 channels, maybe? That we can get OTA? :)

I must say, the digital channels look amazing compared to their analog counterparts. But if you have borderline or bad reception, you suddenly have no reception with digital!

6. Enochrewt says:

Actually, I own an HDTV and use the rabbit ears because I got sick of paying for cable I never watched. I would show up to this thing just to see what happens if it wasn’t in the middle of the work day on Monday.