Bat21 wins the Reader No-Prize of the day with this awesome email update about the never-made version of Dune by Jodorowsky and Moebius:

Contrary to the legend circulating the Internet, Jodorowsky and Mobius did make this epic but not in the form they originally wanted. Jodorowsky had always said that he considered the novel as a starting point. His Dune was radically different. One the many changes was making the main character Emperor Shaddam IV, not Paul Muad’dib Atreides. Frank Herbert disavowed the project and this may have contributed to the funding falling through. Jodorowsky and Mobius did some tweaking (mostly name changes) and starting in 1981, published it as an original comic book series called L’Incal (The Incal). Some issues were translated into English and published in Heavy Metal magazine. Like Dune, the story was later greatly expanded. Science fiction/ comics fans refer to the books as the Jodoverse or the Metabarons Universe. The latest series, Sans Nom, le Dernier des Métabarons – (Nameless, the Last of the Metabarons) was released in 2003.

Because of L’Incal‘s popularity and success in Europe, Jodorowsky and Mobius again attempted to make a film in the mid-1980’s. This time, the film would have been animated, giving the creators greater visual control but at a (hopefully) lower cost. For unknown reasons, this project also fell through. Enough footage was created for a trailer. [Posted above – Ed.] None of the Pink Floyd music is in the trailer. A generic synth track was used instead, but some of the filler footage does reference the now iconic cover of “Dark Side of the Moon”. The voiceover may be jazz poet Ken Nordine.

More Dune facts:

• Frank Herbert has publicly stated that he was happy with Lynch’s adaption of Dune. Because of their complexity and thematic density, Herbert believed his novels would never have mass appeal and was unsurprised by it’s poor box office perfomance.

• Because of contractual obligations to producer Dino DeLaurentis, David Lynch had to turn down George Lucas’ offer to direct Return of the Jedi.

Mind: blown. I actually had some Metabarons comics when I was a kid and had no idea that they stemmed from Dune in any way. (And I barely knew who Moebius was, let alone Jodorowsky.)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The trailer for the cartoon version of the Jodorowsky and Moebius Dune that never was

1. rothstei says:

Whoa… 3rd Bardo, anyone?

The only thing I saw that was reminiscent of Dune was the crazy house-looking castle/spaceship/lamp that looks a lot like the Emperor’s ship in the Lynch movie. That, and all the hallucinations I saw when I watched the movie and ate strange plants.

Watching this trailer really makes me want to go out and rent Heavy Metal right now… I can’t believe I don’t own that.

2. MarlboroTestMonkey7 says:

I just want to say that Moebius is a god. That’s all.

3. haineux says:

I was so delighted by the two seconds of WTFJAPAN at the end!

4. akbar56 says:

“Dune may have inspired Fatboy Slim’s “Weapon of Choice” (Walk without rhythm, it won’t attract the worm.)”

I think it is pretty clear the whole song is about Dune. Even moreso than the worm line how about “listen to the sound of my voice, check out my new weapon, weapon of choice”

Clearly sounds like the wierding way to me.

5. Mister Moofoo says:

I thought it was David Cronenberg who almost directed Return of the Jedi.

Maybe I’m just having the insanity again…

6. DoctressJulia says:

Wow, that was AWESOME! And, Moebius does kick ass, yes. :)

7. Skwid says:

Dude…you didn’t think “Wait…was that a Dune reference?” the very first time you heard that song?

It couldn’t be more obvious!

8. muteboy says:

UK Techno act Eon did a couple of tracks sampling the Lynch Dune. ‘Fear (The Mind Killer)’ starts with the ant-fear mantra, and ‘Spice’ starts with the Baron yelling, “He who controls…” etc, and repeats the phrase “the spice must flow”.
    Great stuff, full of weird noises, almost industrial.

He also sampled the horror movie ‘Basket Case': “What’s in the basket?” “My brother”

9. tomaq says:

Doesn’t look much like DUNE to me, but it does look pretty cool.

Approach Jodorowsky’s 1970 live action film EL TOPO with care, with great care…

10. Blaatann says:

I also find it hard to belive that any of the Incal-series was inspired by Dune, having read both.

11. ghelary says:

L’Incal is not by any way a copy of Dune, I’ve read both of them.

L’Incal is a story about a pathetic loser named John Difool living in a polluted world of fake happiness. People suicide by waves, get stone on free drugs and go at the clubs to play with artificial prostitutes. During one of those orgies, John is chosen as the future father of the savior of the universe.

The only common point between “L’Incal” and “Dune” is that both are Space Operas (and parabols of present social / political issues) “L’Incal” is a udge classic of French-Belgian comic tradition. The drawing of Moebius is clear and precise, and the senario from Jodorovsky is great in the genre Space Opera not so parodic.

The success of the serie was big enough to generate numerous spin-offs, the most famous being : “Avant l’Incal” (Before Incal), “La Caste des Meta-Barons” (The cast of Meta-Barons) The later being drawn by Argentian drawer Jimenez (much more in an American comic style, but still excellent).

Jodorowsky made a long interview on his comic career recently for the French magazine “Mad Movies” : http://www.mad-movies.com/mad/interview-carriere-1848-MACHINE-A-REVES.html

12. AceJohnny says:

While L’Incal is a great series, I have lots of trouble believing it had its origins in Dune, other than Jodo and Moebius being involved in both. IMHO, The two stories have almost nothing to do with each other.

If anyone’s interested, they’ve started publishing a follow-up of the series.

For my part, I’ve come to find Jodorowsky’s following works to be too over-the-top and blunt for my taste. There are lots of other magnificent works in the french graphic novel scene, however.

But those are just a personal opinion. Go look there if you don’t want to take my word for it. You’ll find a number of non-french titles in there as well.

Yeah, it’s best to know a little french to enjoy most of them ;)