LG working on multi-touch displays… but are they for iMacs?

Troll_Touch_iMac_touchscreen_kit_1.JPG

There’s reason enough to be skeptical that Apple views multi-touch laptops and desktop displays as a sure thing, including comments from Jobs himself saying “just because we could doesn’t mean we should.” Still, with HP of all companies soundly beating Apple to the punch, it’s not too hard to imagine that a touchscreen iMac may well be among the refreshes introduced to the line at January’s Macworld, along with quad-core Intel processors and lower power usage.

Some butt to the scuttle, then: Stuff just took a tour of LG’s Korea factory, and spotted some multi-touch capable displays. That doesn’t mean that they are being made for Cupertino, of course, but it puts it, at least, in the realm of possibilioty.

Does LG’s multitouch display mean a touchscreen iMac is coming? [Stuff.tv via Slashgear]

This entry was posted in apple, displays. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to LG working on multi-touch displays… but are they for iMacs?

1. bernardhenrymanning says:

That image is from Troll Touch (http://www.trolltouch.com/imac.html) not LG, unless the company was was bought recently. I actually purchased a retrofitted iMAC 24″ with AR touchscreen from Troll Touch. It’s pretty cool but their finishing skills suck. For 1500 dollars they could have not done a crap job. The screen works great on a dualboot os configuration we use for presentations. They have a cheeper “SlipCover” kit which is in hindsight a better deal.

2. teamshadowboat says:

I don’t want your greasy, booger-encrusted fingers filthing all over my screen!

All ye who want touch screens, imagine having to work with the brown, filmy touchpad from the grocery store 8 hours a day. No fun.

3. TheFirstMan says:

I DO NOT WANT TO TOUCH MY MONITOR. Who the hell wants their own hands in the way? iPhone? Fine, the screens’ tiny and the actions are simple. Not on my laptop or desktop. Ugh. Maybe I’m old-school, but so be it.

4. vamidus says:

i think the touchscreen idea is great because it’s highly intuitive.

i’ve seen little children trying to interact with computer by touching the monitor. heck, even my 4-week old kitten does that.

i’d like to give it a shot. i think it will find it’s market.

5. gnosis says:

I _never_ find myself using the touch screen on my HP tx1000.

6. Not a Doktor says:

But that’s the closest some guys will get to touching a nipple.

7. GleepGlop says: