MSI WIndbox makes the MSI Wind VESA mountable

msi_windbox_1.jpg

The MSI Windbox is an interesting variation on the netbook-turned-PC concept: it’s basically a stock MSI Wind without a display, meant to be strapped behind a VESA display of somekind. Otherwise, the specs are the same as always, for which I have set up a TextPander script: 1.6 GHz Atom, 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. It’s actually a rather cool idea, but there’s no HDMI out, and as Slashgear notes, that is a missed trick: this could be marketed as a very cheap Media Center Expander if it had one. Price when released will be roughly at around $260.

VESA-mounted fanless nettop [Slashgear]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to MSI WIndbox makes the MSI Wind VESA mountable

1. LyhjeHylje says:

For a moment I thought it was finally the laptop dock I have been waiting for; the one that works as easily as the ipod docks.

2. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Am I missing something here? I don’t see a socket for a keyboard cable or the mention of Bluetooth to communicate with peripherals. It looks like a great unit but how do you interact with it?

3. guy_jin says:

I’m actually tempted. shove this in the back of my HDTV and I can surf the net in my living room.

the question is, is my HDTV vesa-mount-compatible?

“It looks like a great unit but how do you interact with it?”

there are 3 USB ports.

“don’t see a socket for a keyboard cable”

USB port? Top of the row in this picture, plus two on the opposite side in pic3 of the slashgear gallery.

Bluetooth would obviously be much preferrable, though.

6. ender_sb says:

DVI out, in place of or in addition to VGA out, would have been a nice addition. DVI-to-HDMI cables aren’t all that expensive. (Of course, I’ve got no idea if/how they work the HDCP.)