Platzhalter book shelf splits into “V” and reveals secret compartment

Platzhalter-bookshelf.jpg

Although I have since fallen into the German bohemian style of book storage which involves rooms lined with teetering piles of cracked, used paperbacks upon which half-empty beer bottles have been haphazardly stacked, I used to have a love affair with book cases, and this break-apart Platzhalter delights me. I believe that secret compartment in back is where I would store the books I don’t like guests discovering: my disturbingly water damaged copies of Naked Came The Stranger and My Secret Life always raise more questions than their prominent display is worth.

Platzhalter Bookshelf [Trends Now via Gizmodo]

This entry was posted in Furniture and Lighting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Platzhalter book shelf splits into “V” and reveals secret compartment

Compartment: I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

2. jonathon212 says:

@4 better reference? TARDIS?

3. pavel_lishin says:

Pretty useless if you have more than one bookshelf in a row.

4. Garr says:

TJ S, you’re right. The only secret thing here is the compartment itself. Once filled with books, it’s presence becomes known to everyone.

5. jathomas says:

Secret compartment….. PSYCHE!

Awww.. Here you go:

6. acrocker says:

unless the secret compartment is like Marry Poppins’ handbag (can’t think of a better reference)

fold the bookcase back up, and the book disappear into nothingness until you reach into the magic bookcase to get them back again!

7. Garr says:

Zoopyfunk, yes, what was once the Kingdom of Bohemia is the Czech Republic today, but under various Kings and Emperors (Roman Empire) there have been heavy mutual influences, migrations, etc.
    As such, I believe it’s totally legit to speak of “german-bohemian-style” (which could almost amount to a synonym for “bavarian”, and that’s me! ;)), even if John’s meaning of this word escapes me.

8. TJ S says:

I hate to burst your bubble, but from the original post, it doesn’t look like there’s a secret compartment.
    It just splits at the top to give more shelf space (guessing the shelves telescope out?).

Or am I missing something through translation?

9. ZoopyFunk says:

Just an FYI…Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.

10. Garr says:

Btw:
    I don’t know about the Bohemians of old, but I’m German and I use normal bookshelves. In fact, I’d say I’m stereotypically German since my bookshelf is the IKEA “Billy” Model.