Kogan Agora Pro is a new Android smartphone

atte1ab1.jpg

From the land of the deadly purple-ringed octopus, the jubjub bird and the elusive snark comes the next phone designed to run on Google’s Android OS, the Kogan Agora Pro. The attractive smartphone comes with a 2.5 inch touch screen, QWERTY keyboard, 3G, Wi-Fi and GPS, with a 624 MHz processor, a 2MP Camera and 128 MB of RAM as the brain, spine and limbic system.

It’s Australia only right now, but they are selling it unlocked, which means you should have no problem importing it for its price of $399. I actually think this is a much more attractive phone than the G1: I’ll be eager to read some reviews.

Kogan [Official Site via Gizmodo]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Kogan Agora Pro is a new Android smartphone

1. zuzu says:

Oops, that should be $400 AUD -> $260 USD, and $300 AUD -> $195 respectively to Pro and non-Pro.

2. btb says:

#5 – you want a Nokia N8x0

It’s actually a Blue Ring Octopus.

4. Simon Greenwood says:

For those who haven’t heard, T-Mobile in the UK are now doing the G1 on a £30 a month tariff with ‘unlimited’ browsing (they tend to make coughing noises if you regularily shift over 3Gb a month in reality). My sister was offered one for her upgrade and I suggested that it is a bit chunky and v1.0, but I will send her this and see if she thinks it’s worth waiting for a couple of months. Also, I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but former tiny PC punters Koolu are about to start shipping the Freerunner open phone with Android for the same price as the phone with its native version of Linux.

5. Justin France says:

A mobile device released in Au first? Anything with a CE mark for that matter… being released in Australia first?

I’m excited – just to get my hands on Android – but also a bit confused, scared. This doesn’t happen to Australian gadget obsessives often or at all.

6. johnsto says:

Looks fantastic, just a shame it can’t decide what the time is.

7. Halloween Jack says:

This is so much better looking than the G1 that it’s not even funny, although Zuzu is right–it’s basically a Bold with the serial numbers filed off.

8. Garr says:

#2 :) lol

This is the first Android phone that actually looks like something I’d like to own, if I was into the hype about open OSs.

9. zuzu says:

Wow, this phone looks awesome. It’s spec’d nearly exactly to the BlackBerry Bold, but for $200 less and with a touchscreen too. Only it runs Android instead of the BlackBerry 4.6 operating system.

(Hey… that even looks like the BlackBerry logo on the menu button to the left of center, along with the back arrow button to the right of center. If the middle is a “pearl” trackball, this is really BlackBerry inspired.)

10. technogeek says:

Still eagerly watching Android’s evolution… but I have a “never buy version 1.0 of anything” policy, so I’m holding off and letting the Bleeding Edge community finish the real-world testing. When we establish that the product is reasonably stable (at least in terms of the essential functions) and/or the support is outstanding, I’ll probably go for it.

Though I have to admit there’s something to be said for the two-box approach — one phone and one everything-else, linked by bluetooth — so using the non-essential everything-else functions doesn’t run down your phone battery or risk crashing the phone. If I could get a Palm-like open Linux box which spoke to a basic phone well enough, that might actually be a more attractive solution… and because it wouldn’t need to pass phone certification, it might be cheaper.

11. zuzu says:

Oh, and those prices are in Australian dollars, so with the current foreign exchange rate (subject to volatility), the $300 Pro model costs $195 USD + S&H. The $200 sans-Wifi and GPS model costs $130 USD + S&H.

And it won’t ship until January 29th.