Walnut, WW2 era radio casemod by Jeffrey Stephenson

ingraham-casemod-20081203-600.jpg

Usually PC case mods are either ungainly exercises in slobber mouthed dorkiness or “because it’s there” affairs, but this gorgeous mod by Jeffrey Stephenson based upon the World War 2 era radio cases of the Ingraham Cabinet Co. is so gorgeous and seductive and walnut that it’s hard not to look at the entirety of modern case design as total aesthetic folly.

Ingraham Cabinet Co. [Slippery Skip via Engadget]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Walnut, WW2 era radio casemod by Jeffrey Stephenson

1. pork musket says:

Very nice. Seems belittling to call it a “casemod”. It’s a hand-built case, other than the component tray

2. CANTFIGHTTHEDITE says:

Interesting proposition, TECHNOGEEK. Is anybody out there doing case mods for printers? Will the internet answer this call?

3. Purly says:

I can’t believe someone would destroy a gorgeous art deco radio to make a computer case.

4. Peaceflag2007 says:

This is nicer than anything Apple ever designed

can you imagine if Dell sold PCs like this? wow.

5. technogeek says:

Ah yes, design for style rather than design for manufacturing cost… Very pretty, and if I wanted to display my machine I’d say “want”.

However, shoving the whole tower case under the desk where nobody sees it also works. What I need is a mod like this for my _printer_, which has to sit on the desktop.

Hmmm. I’ve got a spare printer (it’s sometimes cheaper to pick up a printer than a complete set of ink refills). Maybe, in my Copious Spare Time…

At first I was a little dismayed that he had hacked up an old radio. Then when it became clear that it was made from scratch, I was very impressed.

Lovely look, and great craftsmanship.

Purly, click through or read my comment. It was built from scratch. No radio involved, damaged or otherwise. Well, except one used as an example to copy.

8. airship says: