Twenty 45 adapters

twenty45.jpg

A collection of 45RPM record adapters from Glen Mullaly, who just so happens to be an awesome illustrator.

Full-size image and manufacturer key [Flickr] (Thanks, DD!)

Update: Reader Tim H. writes “It seems like you can’t post an image as a comment on bb (for obvious reasons) but I’ve bumped into a handful of people like me who have loved the 45 symbol enough to get it tattooed.”

mytattoo.jpg

Update 2: Bingo the Chimp writes “This beautiful 45 adapter tattoo on my beautiful girlfriend’s arm always makes me swoon.”

tattoo.jpg
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Twenty 45 adapters

68FLH, but it is a pretty cool shape, regardless of what it does. It’s definitely less likely to be embarrassing later in life than, say, a skull with flames and snakes or something trite and ridiculous like that. (Or, a Harley logo?? heh)

2. Downpressor says:

Nice! Those of us who still buy lots of 45s tend to just use these http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/42/174/17358.html instead

3. erratic says:

OHHHHHhhhh…. I thought it was the logo for gay neonazis….

4. nerdler says:

#8: I dunno, I did grow up with stacks of 45s and I think it’s a dumb idea for a tattoo, but I think tattoos are pretty retarded anyway.

5. bibulb says:

GUH. SO BEAUTIFUL.

6. roguecnidarian says:

I can’t believe this! I was looking for images of these adapters a few months ago. I’ve seen the shape of the adapters on a lot of hipsters’ shirts, but I don’t think most of them even know where it’s from, or what it’s original purpose was, which is terribly sad.

7. ESQ says:

Luvin! I carry a standard yellow 45 adapter in my wallet at all times…. just in case…

8. ESQ says:

#5: I’d get that tattoo if I were the tattooing type, but I can understand not ‘getting’ it if you didn’t grow up with stacks of 45s in the 70s and early 80s – definitely a generational thing at this point.

It’s been a quarter of a century since they’ve been useful and I still think it’s a cool tat. I imagine it will continue to mean as much in another 25 years, probably more so to the nostalgic amongst us.

9. 68flh says:

Dude, that’s like getting a 1/4″-1/8″ phono plug adapter tattooed on you, or a PS2-USB adapter. WTF? Tattoo an ADAPTER on your arm? I’d would REALLY like to know what you think of your tattoo in 20 years.