Dell Adamo: Even thinner than the MacBook Air?

bits_adamo.190.jpg

The New York Times‘ Ashlee Vance thinks he’s uncovered a new Dell laptop, the “Adamo“, that will be even smaller than the MacBook Air:

But most telling of all might have been the reaction of Michael Tatelman, Dell’s vice president in charge of consumer sales and marketing, to my question about whether or not Dell had an Air-like product in store. Mr. Tatelman’s mouth gaped open and his eyes darted away from my face.

If looks could reveal product dimensions, then I’d guess that Dell’s going even thinner and lighter than Apple.

This is exactly the sort of inference that I am genuinely happy to see someone publish.

Dell’s Mystery ‘Adamo’ Could Be Thinner Than Air [Bits.Blogs.NYTimes.com]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Dell Adamo: Even thinner than the MacBook Air?

“So Dell ignore the issue as usual — they’re not called a box shifter for nothing — and try to build the world’s thinnest laptop.”

what exactly are you basing this on? the fact that dell hasnt released it yet? or the fact that all the other computers in the same range (studio 15, xps1530) have been streaks ahead of any other competitor in specs, price and service!

“especially when this is a company I sent an email on a problem with my laptop and they don’t even have a human read it. Got a robot response that was incorrect. Not a lot of customer care there, eh?”

um… if you want customer care… call customer care? the internet responses are supposed to be internet responses!

look. ive had dells for ages. dell sell cheap laptops as well as mid-high ranges ones. Dont buy a dell cause they’re cheap and then complain about it. its quite simple

2. Marsha Keeffer says:

I’m kind of agreeing with Charlie here – especially when this is a company I sent an email on a problem with my laptop and they don’t even have a human read it. Got a robot response that was incorrect. Not a lot of customer care there, eh?

3. Itsumishi says:

If not for the thinness why not just buy one of the better Mac Laptops?

As far as to arguments about the crappyness of Dells and there customer service.

I’ve owned many Dell machines over the years, only one do I even slightly regret purchasing (a laptop had much higher specs than any other laptop I’d seen on the market at the time and was very cheap due to some fantastic specials – on the downside it was bulky, heavy and the dvd drive overheated whenever I tried to burn a full DVD). This was about 6 years ago.

Since then I’ve had Dell Laptops at work, dell laptops at home, dell desktops at work and a dell server at work. The machines have been very reliable and over about 10 machines and the 6 years I’ve only ever had 2 hardware issues which were both resolved the next morning after the call was made and by very courteous staff.

Maybe Dell Australia is just better than other counterparts though. Maybe I just got lucky.

4. Charlie Stross says:

*Rolls eyes*

Talk about a classic case of a corporation missing the point …

(Let me unpack that: five years ago I had a laptop that was thinner than a Macbook Air. This is not rocket science: it was a Toshiba Portege R40. What makes the Macbook Air desirable is not solely it’s thinness, but the overall design values embodied in it. But good design is a lot harder to encapsulate in a unidimensional metric than, oh, case thickness. So Dell ignore the issue as usual — they’re not called a box shifter for nothing — and try to build the world’s thinnest laptop. Betcha it’s rectangular, creaks when you lift it by one corner, and the case is full of ugly holes …)

5. cowtown says:

Seems a bit early for that sort of dismissal. My Studio 17 is a pretty attractive laptop, and to a lot of people, improving on the Macbook Air in a holistic sense will not be difficult at all, even while staying in the same class of machine.

Hell, HP has already done it.

6. KurtMac says:

I’m curious about the chosen name “Adamo” and any speculation that could be drawn from that. Mostly because I’m bored. Regardless, some quick Googling nets it as a proper name in Italian: “Adamo – n. Adam, first man and the husband of Eve (Biblical); male first name” or the similar Spanish: “adamar – v. court, flatter; woo, seek to gain the affections of.” So, the Adam & Eve connection, the forbidden apple… that Apple? Or perhaps Dell is simply seeking to gain the affections of someone… like the Apple-leaning consumer? Eh? No?

7. zapan says:

Salvatore Adamo is a soapy crooner from belgium, very successfull with the elderly ladies.
    It cracked me up to see the badass “Adamo, coming soon” and picturing overjoyed grandmas waiting for it !