RIP Majel Barrett

majelbarrett1a.jpg

Majel Barrett, widow of Gene Roddenberry and the voice of the Enterprise’s computers, passed away today at 76. She was gorgeous and charming and awesome.

She had recorded the voice work for the upcoming Star Trek movie just two weeks ago.

Majel Roddenberry, widow of ‘Trek’ creator, dies [Mercury News/AP]

Image: Space Debris

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to RIP Majel Barrett

1. minTphresh says:

great lady! really helped keep gene’s dream alive. truly a class act. rest in peace majel! i will listen for you in the stars when we can hopefully meet again.

2. sworm says:

Wow. That’s sad. In a way the enterprise is no longer. Has no voice. Has been rendered speechless. It’ll never be the same.

3. Mark Crummett says:

I always wanted _my_ computer to sound like her.

4. The Unusual Suspect says:

How sad. I’ve always had a soft spot for Majel. She was truly “Number One” with me.

5. Frank_in_Virginia says:

According to the family, donations in Roddenberry’s memory can be sent to Precious Paws, 18034 Ventura Blvd., Ste. 430, Encino, 91316; or C.A.R.E., P.O. Box 56631, Sherman Oaks, 91403. (From the KABC-TV Web site)

6. Cnoocy says:

Don’t forget her guest spot on Babylon 5!

I always considered her the Lady Bird Johnson of science fiction. And I mean that in the best possible way.

7. pelrun says:

Main link goes to the wrong place!

8. RedShirt77 says:

She will always be the original Number 1 to me.

9. OM says:

…I met Majel a little less than 20 years ago when she came to a con here in Centex – thankfully not a Creation Con-Job! – and she was a 120% class act all the way. Very friendly and open to the fans, and actually took a little time to speak about the actual processes she went through during the “Orion Slave Girl” test shots. Apparently they tried out over a dozen different tones and grease paint formulations to get the right look, but ended up using a completely different one for Susan Oliver because her skin complexion was lighter than Majel’s!

She will be missed!

10. mgfarrelly says:

I just watched the old school trek where Spock and Kirk duel it out. Majel plays the unrequited love interest, bringing the rampaging vulcan some soup and comfort. She’s young and beautiful and so wounded by it all. Good night Mrs. Roddenberry.

11. Stefan Jones says:

Barret-Roddenberry was a guest at I-Con, my alma mater’s SF convention, a decade or so back. My cousin was assigned as her driver and had nothing but praise for her. Worked hard as a guest, was nice to the staff, and seemed to be very savvy about the business end of fandom.

Don’t forget: She played Nurse Chapel and Luxwana Troi!

12. Jake0748 says:

So sad. I think she was the only person who appeared (either as an actress or a voice) in ALL the Star Trek series and movies.