(Flash video above, downloadable MP4 here.)

Joel and Brownlee got a hands-on demo with the new Palm Pre, and Boing Boing’s video team was there to cover them. Watch the whole review above. In the first half of the video, Brownlee and Joel grill a Palm rep — who doesn’t want to let either of them touch the device — about features and what’s under the hood. In the second half of today’s video, our fellas huddle over brews and watered-down show floor drinks with Jon Stokes from Ars Technica for a post-game analysis. Verdict seems to be that if this is Palm’s “hail mary,” it just might work. The Pre seems pretty sweet. Here’s the Pre product page at palm.com.

Previously: Seven features that make the Palm Pre better than the iPhone

Sponsor shout-out: Boing Boing’s video coverage of CES 2009 is sponsored by WEPC.com, in partnership with Intel and Asus. WePC.com is intended to be a site where users come together to “share ideas, images and inspiration about the ideal PC.” Participants’ designs, feature ideas and community feedback will be evaluated by ASUS and “could influence the blueprint for an actual notebook PC built by ASUS with Intel inside.”

(Special thanks to Q-Burns Abstract Message for the background tracks in our CES episodes!)

More Videos: BB Gadgets at CES
* CES Video: Asus Netbookstravaganza, with Bamboo, Gold Lamé, and Lamborghini.
* Boing Boing Gadgets at CES: Video Report, Day Two
* Boing Boing Gadgets at CES: Video Report, Day One

About Xeni Jardin

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to CES Video: Palm Pre Hands-On with Joel and Brownlee, post-review huddle with Ars Technica

1. Jake von Slatt says:

Oh my, I am so disappointed with John! I was expecting a dissipated yet elegant figure in a smoking jacket and fez and what I got was a hearty joe in grungewear! Next time you are up Seattle way, John, have Ms. Gauger kit you out!

2. GuabaMan says:

suck up the design by osmosis wow i thought i was sarcastic! great work!

Ahh, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.. my standard go-to beer! yumm. (Although I’m having a Columbus 90 shilling ale right now…)

4. stumo says:

I think I want.

Sad to see my old firm – Symbian – dropping back. N97 looks ok, but nothing special, whereas this is the first one that’s made me go Oooh since the iphone.

I hope they’ll have a European version launched before too long.

5. theawesomerobot says:

One of the most epic tech hail mary’s of the decade – this will keep them going for at least 2009, and it’s a good precedent for future progress from the company.

Good job Palm!

6. spinoza says:

Jake, get used to the disappointment. John Brownlee, elegant? Talking about a broken hymen was his biggest contribution to this video. He is elegant as the wrapper of a fast food hamburger or a bleeding bad case of psoriasis.

7. Tzctlp says:

More exclusive deals with carriers…

Please stop that nonsense, stop it or we will organize in Europe so this kind of unfair, anticompetitive tie in is declared illegal.

8. sans comic says:

What’s with the Brownlee hate? The dude’s often funny, often acerbic and has a passion for gadgets — pretty much the requirements for a tech blogger.

I’ve been following Brownlee’s writing since the Kotaku days, and it’s great to put a face to the name. But where is the fez, you fraud!

10. Adam Fields says:

Does “Pre” rhyme with “Meh”?

I want to want it, and it seems better than the alternatives, but the details are really what will make or break this.

Also, I haven’t seen any mention of running legacy Palm apps. Will it?

11. hohum says:

I’ve always been a fan of the old Palm OS over Windows Mobile (CE, etc)…. Always felt much more intuitive to me. Then they kind of let it die and I was wondering if my Z22 was the last Palm I’d own… But this new OS looks incredibly slick… I’m a big fan of the iPhone, but this is really something I plan to keep an eye on…

12. wastrel says:

I hate him because he never changes the topic in the IRC channel. I don’t know why other people do… maybe they’re jealous of his cool job.

13. wastrel says:

Web OS is not going to be backward compatible with legacy Palm OS apps, from what I’ve gathered.

However there’s an emulator that already runs on the N8xx Nokia tablets and people are expecting that will likely be ported. Palm also seems to be reaching out to Palm OS developers to “migrate” their existing apps.

14. Clay says:

I like Joel’s comment near the end about Apple. Truer words about the value of a competitive marketplace are rarely said.

Between the Blackberry Storm and the PrÄ“, I think iPhone users are, for one thing, pretty much guaranteed clipboard support within the next few months, something which Apple wouldn’t be considering in a vacuum. Although I have to say, that universal search has me pretty pumped about Palm right now.

15. js7a says:

Tzctlp: Hear, hear! We all welcome a return to free market trust-busting from the days of Republican graft. Please contact the WTO with your complaint at once.

16. strider_mt2k says:

Good stuff J&J!

I think I’m still stunned that Palm didn’t screw something up royally this time out.
    The Pre looks like a winner with some solid stuff behind it.

Thanks for that glimpse and for the great coverage!

17. eustace says:

Palm? Oh, yeah, I remember now… crapware carriers. I’ve owned a Handspring and four models of more modern Palms; but the unremovable crapware they clutter them up with eventually sickened me, slowly sapping my will to hack. “Would you like to upgrade the lousy video player to the slightly less offensive Pro version for only thirty dollars? ‘Cause until then, the code’s gonna be camping out in your 32MB, waiting for you to decide…”

18. ashcraft says:

NICE SHIRT, JOEL

19. BelchFire3000 says:

I have to admire the gadget guys for being willing to appear on camera (a face born for radio & all that). Certainly helps explain the machismo prose of Brownlee.