CORE Competency: Victory Motorcycle’s new concept

victorycore.jpg

Victory Motorcycles built this “CORE” concept motorcycle in cast aluminum and paired it with a 1,731cc engine in a bike that weighs only 469 pounds. [Motorcycle-USA.com via Core77]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to CORE Competency: Victory Motorcycle’s new concept

1. P1rat3 says:

Only 467 pounds? I agree with 6. Wake me when an American motorcycle company can figure out how how crappy “modern obsolete” engines are.

My 98′ Ducati 748 weighs 444 pounds dry and gets 45 MPG.

It also looks better than that lipsticked Hog.

2. Julian Bond says:

It’s really good to see the influence of Roland Sands in people producing more performance oriented choppers. But there’s a still a long way to go. Whatever happened to the idea that a chopper was a full dress machine with everything stripped away *for more speed*.

I blame Easy Rider!

3. mkultra says:

Cruiser riders hate superbikes and vice versa. This is news? Aside from the fact that they both have 2 wheels, they are pretty much completely different groups.

Y’all are worse than vi vs. emacs.

Personally, as annoying as I find the cruiser guys, I dislike the superbike guys more because the way they fill the town up during race season. (I live/work 2 miles from Laguna Seca)

That time of the year, it’s like every weekend is a perfect storm of douchbaggieness.

4. error404 says:

It seems that every faction of the bike world loathes at least one the other factions.

But everybody loathes the fat harley people.

Good crikey that is a loathsome motor and what a neat idea to do with out rear suspension.

Not a fan of the Plastic bullets particularly but the speed bike mob are right to mock this sort of 19th century technology.

And casting it in aluminium doesn’t make it modern any more that making doublet and hose from kevlar is a good idea.

“But everybody loathes the fat harley people”. Such haters. We are not all fat. I’ve been riding HD’s since 1975. If you ever watch the History Channel episode on the Harley Davidson, you may better undertand why Harley’s have such a faithful following. I can only guess why foreign motor cycle companies have copied V-twins and Harley designs. It amazes me that on a daily basis I hear at least one metric bike owner say their bike looks and sounds just like a Harley, but without the price. No it doesn’t, and no it doesn’t. Over the years, I even watched metric companies use a similar logo. I personally don’t get stressed over any other type bikes, but loathe street bikes weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds with some guy’s daughter on the back. Most HD riders are not fat drunks. They are also not skinny kids trying to compensate their inadequacies by riding like a 16 year old. I have a 100″ rigid chopper, and a street glide. I’m not saying your wrong for not having a Harley, I’m saying watch the History Channel take and you may have some tolerance and undersatnd that Harleys go deeper than production and design. Stay safe.

6. grimc says:

Cruiser riders hate superbikes and vice versa.

True. And Gold Wing riders love everybody.

7. JoeKickass says:

Wouldn’t that be awfully hard on your nuts?

8. rak0ribz says:

@10:
    Nah, they probably use helicoil on all the important ones – SOP for aluminum parts.

9. grimc says:

@mkultra

Fair point. I like the aesthetics. But an automotive equivalent to this bike would be a 2009 Ford concept car built around an engine that hasn’t changed much since the Model T.

10. mkultra says:

@15 Rode the back seat of a Gold Wing a while back, seemed really nice. What’s the new model called, “Civic” or something? The extra two wheels really added stability in turns…

11. midknyte says:

@8 – Nice Duc.

My ’03 Firebolt 9R, weighs 385 lbs dry, throws down 92 horses (ok, at the crank…), and 48/60 mpg city/highway. Buell has been awake for quite a few years now.

12. Halloween Jack says:

First order of business: replace that wooden butt-plug with a real seat.

13. midknyte says:

“Cruiser riders hate superbikes and vice versa…”

We’re not all that way. Two wheels is two wheels.

14. pork musket says:

That is a beautiful machine.

15. ROSSINDETROIT says:

I have a motorcycle concept too. It weighs 469 lbs less than that one.
    That said, the bike in question is not a balsa and Mylar show mockup. It’s much closer to reality than most concepts shown.
    The bad news: ditching the padded seat AND rear suspension seriously reduces ridability on actual streets. Don’t expect that to go into production without one or the other added back in.

16. midknyte says:

“…Don’t expect that to go into production without…”

hence, the concept stage…

17. grimc says:

@rossindetroit

You underestimate the amount of discomfort people will endure in the name of fashion.

18. ridefst says:

@17 – How’s that Goldwing treating you?

…I jest, I ride a CBR929 myself and can appreciate the comfort of a touring bike, and the style of a cruiser as well. This one is looking pretty good to me.

19. grimc says:

Imagine how much more weight they could take off if they used technology that doesn’t need 1700 cc’s to produce 97 hp.

You know, modern technology.

20. mkultra says:

@ #6, If you’re looking for efficiency, a v-twin is hardly where you start the conversation.

In fact, what this bike has going for it is efficiency of design. Aesthetic frugality. Sometimes, what you take out is far more important than what you leave in.

21. LeavingHalfway says:

A doublet made of kevlar…

you know, Error404, you might be on to something.