Tomy Dustbot out-Roombaed Roomba back in 1985

cleaning_20robot.jpg

A chronic pipe smoker constantly belching forth pungent plumes of camel-scented latakia, char and greasy tobacco detritus, the only way my work desk stays clean is by the small armada of battery-powered toy robots who constantly whir away to Humbert’s alarm, making sure my workspace does not become a sooty, carcinogenic metaphor for the inside of my lungs.

This, for me, is one of the best things about living in the 21st century… but robot vacuums are nothing new. Check out this awesome Tomy Dustbot from 1985. Not only did it have edge sensors, it even carries around its own dustpan and broom! Fuck you, Roomba!

Tomy Dustbot [The Old Robots]

This entry was posted in dustbot. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tomy Dustbot out-Roombaed Roomba back in 1985

I had one of these too. Mine had red arms and silver tools. It was one of my favorite xmas gifts, second only to the fireman’s helmet with the revolving red light on top and “real siren sounds”. Pretty sure both came from Radio Shack back when you could buy something besides a cell phone there.

2. flipmytext says:

This is gr8

3. strider_mt2k says:

Who do you think you are, Zorg?

4. bibulb says:

I was >-< THAT CLOSE to bidding on eBay for some of Tomy’s old Omnibot line… Then realized that we don’t have the room in the apartment for another entity.

But I should still see if I can bid on a Hootbot sometime.

5. woid says:

Your work desk is a chronic pipe smoker constantly belching forth pungent plumes of camel-scented latakia, char and greasy tobacco detritus?

You need a new work desk.

I had one of these! I was five years old and it was awesome!

Sadly, I lost the dustpan almost immediately, and I seem to recall the vacuum worked about not-at-all.

I wish I knew where it was . . .

7. WeightedCompanionCube says:

I had that thing, along with Verbot (voice controlled via RF remote!)

< ahref="http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/288.html">Tomy made a few robots

8. Alli says:

Oh my. I had one of those.

And now I have a Roomba. Coincidence?