Battle of the Planets Thunderbirds | manga by Artgerm

thunderbirrrrds.jpg

There’s a lot of generally wonderful sci-fi-tinged work in this gallery of 54 “mind-blowing digital paintings”, but I’m especially partial to this piece from Artgerm reimagining the Battle of the Planets cast Thunderbirds as a coterie of Storm Shadowesque ninja.

It’s this sort of stuff that makes me afraid to ever start giving substantial attention to Deviant Art; I’m worried I’d lose too many hours delving.

Update: Can you tell that I’ve never seen Thunderbirds nor Battle of the Planets before? (Title fixed.)

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Battle of the Planets Thunderbirds | manga by Artgerm

1. carriem says:

what??? never watched BotP??

I just sent this link over to my co-worker and he’s never seen it either.

That’s…crazy. Crazy like growing up without Lego. that’s a huge chuck of yer childhood that’s missing, man.

2. themark says:

Definitely Gatchaman (see the big “G” logo at the bottom?) A nice dark and slickery interpretation it is too. Forget the US version “G-force” it was a hatchet job re-edit of the series that made it almost incomprehesible, and introduced the horrible R2D2 rip-off character 7Zark7 as a filler for all the violence that was hacked out.

3. kiltreiser says:

I registered with Deviant Art a few weeks back and it’s slowly killing me. Too much pretty, not enough time…

That’s not the Thunderbirds, that’s Gatchaman/G-Force/Battle of the Planets.

Just noted this over at our blog – sadly enough :(

6. ryuthrowsstuff says:

I would have thought Silverhawks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverhawks

7. Provlear says:

You’re actually missing out on Thunderbirds, it’s a campy classic, and you’ll spend half the time marveling at the effects.

8. muteboy says:

#1 definitely

9. SC_Wolf says:

Ah, yes, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman … the series that invented the sentai genre. Countless shows, from Voltron, to Captain Planet, to every incarnation of Power Rangers, are merely an evolution of this original formula.