Video: Time-lapse baby squirmings

I’m just as interested in the stuff we make with our gadgets as I am them gadgets themselves, especially when they give us a look at something in a way we’d never have noticed before. Such as! Francis Vachon‘s time-lapse sequence of his 9-month-old son Charles-Edward playing in his room, squirming around from toy to toy like a little monkey larva.

This entry was posted in babies. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Video: Time-lapse baby squirmings

1. Hanglyman says:

Reminds me of Jacob’s Ladder, only cute.

2. caipirina says:

At that age, our kid would have never stayed 4 hours pretty much by himself without a big fit or a nap or getting some food ..

Yes, I have noticed the ‘shadows’ .. but i think the same video with some more somber music could be downright Kasper Hauser-ish and depressing …

But good that lil’ one is so independent and towards the end he finds the ONE corner he has not been checking yet

3. HeatherB says:

I can see why their floor is so nice and shiny!

4. guy_jin says:

I’m pretty sure he put everything on that floor in his mouth at least once.

5. Drek says:

I was enjoying the video just fine until my roomie mentioned the fact that no-one interacted with the baby for four hours. Then I got sad.

6. Daemon_of_Waffle says:

It’s like a baby roomba: a boomba!

7. pork musket says:

@3 there is some interaction around 0:44 or so. And presumably the parents are checking in… or watching the feed from the camera.

8. CaptainKabob says:

I was going to add a cynical “Here in the States, leaving a baby alone that long would be child abuse”, but it looks like others beat me to it…

There clearly is parental interaction (and there is a note at the end of the video that says that it was edited out).

What’s fascinating to me is that the child played with “approved” and “unapproved” objects at about the same rate. In normal time, if I saw the baby getting into the bookshelf or table I’d say “no, no, that’s not for playing” and move him back to the approved toy section. But speeding it up, its pretty clear that he treats everything with equally passing (dis)interest: it’s not like once he gets into the bookcase he starts climbing it and throwing books off, and ends up swinging from the ceiling while protective services raid the place. Instead, he just rolls around a bit and moves on (though it’s clear the space is designed so that he can’t do much self-damage)

It makes me rethink some of my baby wrassling strategies.

I’m not so convinced that leaving the baby “alone” for four hours (I’m sure someone was monitoring him for safety) is so bad. Look at how much fun he’s having!

If babies actually moved like that in real-time, I might be more inclined to have one. Cute little monkey larva.

Comon guy’s you see very often shadows passing by, but since it’s a time lapse, it goes by way to quickly…

11. warmgun says:

A comment has been added to the end of the video that the parents have been edited out to make the video funnier. Don’t be so quick to jump to conclusions.

12. the_boy says:

I watched this with it’s own sound muted while “Another Dimension” by Liquid Tension Experiment played in the background. It was more or less awesome.

13. Blue says:

Inevitable rules of teh tubes #327

Post video of your children on the internet and it’s only a matter of time before someone tells you you’re a bad parent.

High school physics teachers should use this video as a visual aide when teaching about the idea of entropy.

15. Daemon_of_Waffle says:

Obviously, you’re a bad parent if you even have children. No?

16. nixiebunny says:

At that age, my kids wouldn’t have lasted more than 15 minutes being left to their own devices. What an amazingly independent baby!

17. davedorr9 says:

Actually, my first thought was: wow, how do they keep that kid so happily playing for 4 hours?! As a father of a 8.5 month old, I have found that my girl is happiest when she is exploring the world without my constant supervision. However, exploration happens, at most, for a half-hour before she needs attention of one kind or another; usually, it is 15 minutes. The video would be of a crying child at high speed if he were ignored for 4 hours. Which could be cool.

This was fun.

18. PLeblanc says:

I try not to be judgemental, but that just seems wrong. I think I saw a shadow in a lot of positions (which I hope is a caregiver being attentive), but leaving a kid that age for so long on his own just seems mean spirited to me. Where are the raspberries on the belly, where is the tossing him up in the air, where is the tickling? Last but not least, where are the big sloppy kisses? Kids that age are artful at giving big sloppy kisses, and you should make sure they practice that more regularly than once every 4 hours.

Sigh.

It was a pretty adorble video though.

19. artbot says:

Others have already said what was also my first reaction: That no supervision or interaction seems apparent here. Doesn’t seem very responsible to me.

20. ephcee says:

That seems like a lot of alone time, agreed. But it still looks cool, and I’m impressed that the child is content to play for that long. I don’t think I’ve ever met a baby that could do that…

If you click play and pause repeatedly at around 1:07 until 1:09 you can actually see someone picking him up in a still frame! He was clearly not left alone for four hours.

22. wastrel says:

That is truly fabulous.

I love how he covers the whole room, gets into every corner and hits every piece of furniture and every toy. Hangs out by the gate, plays with the string, digs the mirror for a while. He’s clearly having a ton of fun. Then in the end he gets stuck under the chair and I’m sure is rescued promptly thereafter.

23. thechicgeek says:

Does anyone know who sings that song? It sounds like someone I’ve heard before, but I can’t quite place it. Emily Loizeau perhaps?

24. wastrel says:

Also, in addition to the 0:44 interaction, he disappears for a bit around 1:10. He’s being supervised, the shadows are people checking on him, and he’s obviously happy until the end when he gets stuck.

25. alexerde says:

It’s so much more fun when sped up to a minute and played with benny hill music, http://james.nerdiphythesoul.com/bennyhillifier/speedup.php?id=8vNxjwt2AqY your welcome

26. heydemann3 says:

I was actually pleased that the kid was allowed to explore on his own to a large extent-I see way too many kids interrupted in exploration by a well meaning adult who says “toy good, box bad” or who shows how the toy is “supposed” to work. Let the kid figure stuff out on his own, who knows what he might think of!
    As for putting everything in his mouth-as long as it was not rolled in dog poop first he ‘ll be fine. And have a stronger immune system for the exposure.