IMG_0285.jpg

I’m told when it was originally sold, the Desk Director went for almost $900. From who else? Sharper Image.

IMG_0286.jpg

As is fitting for a Sharper Image product, I will now be trying to figure out how to wire the handset up as an iPhone dock. (It actually seems dead simple for even a soldering simp like yours truly.)

You can buy one new today for just $240. (I paid a cool $30 from a guy on Craigslist who insisted I plug it in and “give her a whirl.”)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Vintage Gadgets I’ve Bought for Some Reason: Bynamics Desk Director System Six Hundred

1. Hal says:

is that leather? you need to get it embossed.
    maybe with LEGO studs.

2. patter says:

There’s even a company still selling them – http://www.cadigital.com/office.htm

Looks like a time capsule to the internet of 10 years ago.

3. Jane Kansas says:

mmmmmmmm want

4. cha0tic says:

“It actually seems dead simple for even a soldering simp like yours truly.”

This from the guy that tried to run electricity through one wire? :) We’ll see.

5. Rob Beschizza says:

Did it come with a Sponge Bob fry cook spatula?

6. thebishopofturkey says:

I think the Old Man has one of those on the conference table at OCP in Robocop.

7. Maldenized says:

What are all of those buttons? Telephone keypad, calculator?

8. clockbound says:

Well, there’s the volcano erupt button, the giant moon laser button, the fluffy white cat button, I mean, these things tend to pile up. Before you know it you have all these buttons!

9. NorrinRazael says:

Holy fuck this is pimp.

I rarely phrase anything I say in this manner, but you’ve really created cause for anomaly.

Once it happens, though, please, a video of you getting a call and answering it, with feet-on-desk 80s S.T.Y.L.E.

Or it didn’t happen.

10. Nelson.C says:

Uh, what is it? A combination telephone and desk-tidy?

11. gadgetophile says:

I don’t know where to begin. As a child some of my most treasured posessions were the portfolios my Dad would bring home from conferences. The ones with the ‘built in’ solar powered calculators.

I think the one with the membrane keyboard was the most super-pimp. But this thing just puts them to shame. I’m in love.

Ipod dock? Oh no…Bluetooth that handset. I would go further and try to transplant a cheap pay-as-go cellphone into it.

There’s also plenty interesting you can do with the LED displays, such as PC system telemetry, like fan speed or CPU temp or suchlike.

bkd

13. Halloween Jack says:

I’d love love eleventy-skadillion times love to have a black leather blotter with a row of programmable LED monitors on the front edge (about as high as the displays on this thing) and some sort of trackpad on the right.

It is decidedly 31337.