Seattle thrift stores filled with old Microsoft shirts after layoffs

microsoftshirts.jpg

A few days after Microsoft laid off 1,400 employees as part of a recession-prompted purge of 5,000, Seattle’s thrift stores are stuffed to the gills with pawned off Microsoft t-shirts.

Some (like the “Warriors in Pink” Zune shirt or the hopelessly wishful thinking “Windows Mobile is better than iPhone” shirt) are just surreally absurd and corporately propagandist, like shirts flushed through a dimensional wormhole from another world where Microsoft was not being trounced in coolness in both cell phones and audio players.

Gallery: The shirts that Microsoft workers no longer want to wear [Tech Flash]

This entry was posted in layoffs. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Seattle thrift stores filled with old Microsoft shirts after layoffs

1. modctek says:

Call me when the Aeron chairs start showing up in quantities. The handful I got from the last dot-bomb are starting to fall apart.

2. DSMVWL THS says:

Why is Microsoft anti-Apple propaganda always so pathetically reactive and defensive? See also: the entire “I am a PC” campaign.

3. Rob Beschizza says:

I just reviewed a high-end ($500-ish) Windows Mobile phone, and it goes beyond surreally absurd to think it’s a better operating system than the iPhone’s. It’s total insanity.

Though there’s some great software on Windows Mobile, and integration with the rest of the Windows ecosystem that’s essential to a lot of users, as a work of software engineering, of technology, it’s not even in the same decade.

4. LightningRose says:

The only thing I’ve ever used a corporate or trade show swag t-shirt for is washing and waxing my car.

5. Rick. says:

I love my Zune. :(

6. SuperMarina says:

In my student days in Seattle I occasionally worked on various demos and similar events. The t-shirts there always was an excess of was the Microsoft ones. They always sent out too many, or nobody wanted them.
    Since I was dirt poor, as one expects of a student in a city as expensive as Seattle, I did use them, but only when jogging after dark!

And yes, it was handy to have a few extra as cleaning rags and, well, you know, I occasionally ran out of toilet paper…

7. DEEPEYES says:

This brings me back to my thrifting days in Seattle just after the dot-bomb. Oh, the swag! The incredible, ubiquitous swag!

8. logophile says:

I love my Zune, too!

9. Halloween Jack says:

“Let me show you a thing or two about Windows Mobile” is an overly verbose version of “RUN AND NEVER STOP”.

10. PrettyBoyTim says:

#1 @Rob:
    I agree – I have a WM phone (admittedly it’s a year or two old now) and it’s like using Windows 98. About the only thing it has over the iPhone is the comparative openness of development for it.

11. dole says:

Homeless guy in a “Let me show you a thing or two about Windows Mobile” t-shirt.

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

12. spacemunky says:

The thrift stores in Redmond have always been full of these kinds of shirts from Microsoft and other tech companies. They’re dumped at Goodwill and Value Village as donations…you can often find a dozen of the same style in a row in the rack. People just need to get rid of the goofy swag from promotional events and launch parties.