Skullcandy wooden ear buds look great, for Skullcandies

ec26d9470ba60280_skullcandy-wooden-earbuds.jpg

I fear that technology’s obsession with woodgrain in the 21st century is going to seem just as hopelessly musty as the woodgrain electronics of the 1980s still seen so prominently on the antediluvian VCRs perched atop the analog set boxes of neighborhood cat ladies… or the insect-infested Atari rotting at the neighborhood flea market.

I hope not, since I’m just starting to get over my 90′s formed objections to wood grain, and I think these Skullcandies have a wonderfully clean design. They are $99, which is outrageous for a pair of Skullcandies, but they look boss.

Skullcandy Wooden Earbuds [Urban Outfitters]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Skullcandy wooden ear buds look great, for Skullcandies

1. Downpressor says:

If these are anything like other Skullcandy products, avoid them like the plague. Every one of that companies headphones I’ve tried sounded like shiat on a stick.

2. martyingels says:

I will never buy a Skullcandy product again. I ordered something from them in October of last year and they still haven’t sent me the item. I’ve emailed a dozen times and they never respond. I called them in Utah and they basically just told me to buzz off. I’ve finally opened a Better Business Bureau complaint, but I doubt they care about that either.
    Seriously folks, not only do the earbuds sound like garbage (tons of feedback from the wire) but they have no respect for their customers.

3. Daemon says:

Skullcandies are overpriced to begin with. When I was in Japan, I bought a pair of panasonic headphones for about $20. A year later, they broke, so I go out to buy replacements, and the only ones I can find that I like are the Skullcandy Lowriders (at the time, $50)… which are physically identical to the Panasonic headphones I got in Japan, except for the colouration, a bit of the moulding on the outer face of the ear cups, and the padding in the headband.

Didn’t sound any differant, or last longer either.

I think the difference between today’s wood obsession and the 80s equivalent is that actual wood is in use today instead of pictures of wood. Look back at electronics that has real wood on it: Sony ES equipment, early Yamaha decks from the 70s. It all looks pretty damn cool even now. It’s the chintzy peel and stick faux-riche stuff that looks terrible.

Well, to me at least. All that stuff is so subjective that I’m sure there’s a few million people that think the Atari 2600 still represents the highest form of industrial design.

5. Garr says:

Do they sound … boss?

6. ROSSINDETROIT says:

My experience: with the exception of a few very expensive in-ear phones including those with custom fitting, conventional headphones beat earbuds. At a given price point it’s just easier to make a good sounding device that’s 2″ across than one that’s 7mm across. YMMV, but I’ve owned literally dozens of earspeakerthings and only the costliest in-ear devices sound as good as even a modestly priced conventional headset.

7. strider_mt2k says:

I don’t get the buzz over this name.

I have a two year old 10-dollar pair of Sonys that blows away any of the models I’ve tried.

8. ROSSINDETROIT says:

I’m a fan of vintage audio and work with it for a living. I agree that generally real wood or veneer looks better than fake, but Denon, Luxman and Pioneer had some finishes in the ’80s that looked like luscious high gloss rosewood but on closest inspection were high quality laminates. They probably cost considerably more than 1/42″ walnut veneer but were more stable and durable.

9. Baldhead says:

ALL skullcandies are overpriced. same price will get you better sound from nearly everyone else. except apple.

these do look kinda cool though.

10. Agies says:

I didn’t care much for Skullcandy until I needed a new pair of earbuds. They had some of the most reasonably priced noise isolating models, but that’s not what has gotten me to stick with them. What makes me happy to own them is the warranty. My headphones broke through normal use (there was a short in the wires somewhere near the jack), instead of telling me to eff off they had me send my broken pair in and sent me a replacement pair no questions asked. Even if I had broken them doing something stupid I would have at least gotten a 50% discount on a new pair. Straightforward product support like this is a breath of fresh air.

Although I do see that if you bought and broke these they would probably be replaced with an equivalent model.

11. ROSSINDETROIT says:

I was in an Urban Outfitters last night. I’m 50 years old but if I wait until the salespeople aren’t looking I can slip in. I was impressed by the selection of headcans and earbuds. Not cheap, but they all had decent build quality and were nicely displayed.
    My long term favorite open back conventional headphones are the Grado SR-60s. Tremendous sound, and if you replace the standard hard foam earcups with Sennheiser HD-414 foams they’re quite comfortable.