A droid I’ve been looking for: steam-powered R2D2

The guts of a toy Star Wars RC droid are scooped out, a working steam engine is slapped in, and we have the RSD2, the galaxy’s first steam-powered astromech droid. With some copper-plating, ornate etchings and a few dabblings of rust, we’d have a working prototype of the steampunk droid that we’re all looking for.

[via Bot Junkie]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A droid I’ve been looking for: steam-powered R2D2

1. brante says:

Man, this has got to be one of the best intersections of BoingBoing interests…

Now if only R2D2 wore stylish luxury watches, and was made of Legos…

2. royaltrux says:

I think it has a bad motivator.

3. RedShirt77 says:

Very cool. I like that this person has at least three steam powered robots in their workshop.

Also, seeing the speed of this droid, I think we all now know why the First Galactic Empire was not built on steam technology.

Although it would never have gotten to dry in the Deathstar if they had.

4. Bonnie says:

I interviewed steam-powered R2-D2 I-Wei Huang awhile back if any of you want to learn more:

5. HeatherB says:

Steam Punk R2D2

6. DSMVWL THS says:

Hoo boy. The steampunkish fan remake of Episode IV can’t be far behind.

7. strider_mt2k says:

Ahhh steam powered robots over coffee in the morning.

BBG, you’re okay you know that?

You’re okay.