Star Wars‘ “Imperial March” scraped across a hard drive

[via Gizmodo]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Star Wars‘ “Imperial March” scraped across a hard drive

my hard drive plays a variation on that theme every third time i boot up. it doesn’t play the same melody per say, but somehow it instills the same sense of dread as the original.

2. murray says:

Another awesome thing you can do with an audio signal is hook it up to a speaker. It sounds fantastic!

3. certron says:

Someone mentioned it on the 2nd page of comments of the Gizmodo article, but here is the ‘original’: http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/hdspeakers/hdspeakers.htm

At least, it was the first time I saw anything like it.

4. milsyobtaf says:

my hard drive speakers sound a hell of a lot better than that. sounds like he needs a bigger amp and a cleaner source. also, quit holding the speaker wires onto the arm, just solder them on so the arm can float freely. n00b.

5. Nelson.C says:

My external just failed, and the only tune it plays now is tick-tick, tick-tick, tick-tick….

6. a random John says:

You can do this with anything with a motor in it. I’m not sure why all the examples limit themselves to harddrives. If a device is battery powered and has a motor you can hook your speaker wires where the battery usually goes and get sound out of it.

7. Agies says:

The Afrotech ones are much better.

Does anyone remember a program for the Commodore-64 that would play Bicycle Built For Two on the floppy drive?

9. obscurica says:

Why do you even need a motor? If I’m understanding correctly that there’s no read or seek functions happening at all, and you’re simply using the surface of the drive as a resonator, you could use just about anything that would vibrate, motor or not. Perhaps I’m confused as to why this is so cool.

10. Chris Tucker says:

#6, Yep. 1541 Music Machine.

Remarkably silly program. Yet, geekily satisfying.

11. nehpetsE says:

I tried this using a 500w pa amp. The drive seemed to sound its best just before the coil sprung a leak and let all the compressed smoke escape.

12. strider_mt2k says:

That was one in a million…

13. Drhaggis says:

I didn’t think there was a wrong way to play Star Wars music on a hardrive motor. Leave it to Boing Boing readers to prove me wrong.

14. mdh says:

You know the little tune the whirring motors in some ATM’s make?

I want them to play this.

15. technogeek says:

Has he just hooked up the arm driver coil to an audio source, or is this actually programmed seeks?