Secondrun.tv makes Hulu Media Center friendly

mediacentertvsample2.jpg

Hulu.com is one of the few examples of the television industry getting their Web 2.0 shit right, but it’s awfully unfriendly to watch on your television. Secondrun.tv is a Windows Media Center extension that slurps in Hulu RSS data, rips out the video and pumps it out in a more television-amenable format, complete with cover art and program description. It’s still in beta, and the Secondrun guys haven’t quite managed to tame the Hulu beast, but this has promise.

Secondrun.tv [The Green Button via The Digital Lifestyle]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Secondrun.tv makes Hulu Media Center friendly

1. zenbeatnik says:

Am I missing something?

I use an NTSC dongle from the computer’s second display output to the TV. I mirror the displays.
    I select full screen display format.
    I run the audio out from the computer to receiver.

Works great for Hulu, YouTube, SciFi channel, CBS, even that obscure site that was running the Star Wars Holiday Special. No plug ins required.

And I didn’t have to pay for a media server or install yet another app on the computer.

Am I missing something?

2. strider_mt2k says:

It makes you thirsty too.

So watch the parched perching pal.

3. TJ S says:

I think Strider had too much coffee this morning. Either that, or he’s a Cylon.

Yes, you’re missing something. Media Center is a ten-foot display (i.e., easy to see from the sofa) that doesn’t require a keyboard or a mouse. READ: wife-friendly.

I have a Vista Media Center connected to my receiver and my high-def TV. It works great. I also distribute the content to my other TVs via extenders (Linksys DMA2100). But, I dropped cable and get only OTA TV. If I want to watch some cable shows, I have to close Media Center, pick up the kb and mouse, open IE, go to Hulu.com, search for the show, etc. Plus, it won’t distribute to extenders. READ: pain in the neck!

5. caipirina says:

as long as hulu does not work outside the US …

6. jjasper says:

If I wanted to watch the shows on a TV, I’d own a TV, and pay for cable.

7. moofrank says:

Take a look at Playon. (Mediamall technologies). They are out of Beta, and can deal with Hulu, Youtube, CBS, and Netflix streams.

They are aiming at streaming to PS3 and Xboxen, but are adding Wii support, along with a few other options.

I’ve been running it for a few months, and am reasonably happy with it.

8. Gloria says:

@1: ?

We have a media pc at our apartment, and we really like being able to watch HD movies (from torrent downloads) on a large-screen TV. It’s harder to have a movie gathering with friends or your SO when you’re perched in front of a computer.