Impress, a smooshy 3D touchscreen by Silke Hilsing

impress.jpg

I’m having a little bit of difficulty parsing the art-speak, but I’m pretty sure from the pictures that “DIS.PLAY” is a prototype projection surface that responds to not only touch in two dimensions, but smooshed down into a third.

Oh, there’s a video! Now I get it. Silke Hilsing, I like everything about this. Good job!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Impress, a smooshy 3D touchscreen by Silke Hilsing

1. KanedaJones says:

I like the idea but always hate the virtual spaces artists create that demand a visual projection on top of me. I preffer wonderfull experiments like this old one (by old I still mean 2000s)

and little java applets to do what he uses the touchscreen for but in a browser!

2. usonia says:

It’s great, but I agree with 3 & 4. Rear project that shit, use super flexible OLEDs, anything that keep me from being projected upon. Spoils the magic, y’know? Still, I love this. If it were combined with force feedback of some kind, like a squishy touchy textured display, that would be rad.

3. ostrich160 says:

Were can i get one, how much do they cost? I think they could make it better be adding more downloadable games, a wifi gallary so you can show friends what you made, ect….

4. jtegnell says:

Except for the total lack of actually useful non-gimicky applications, it’s pretty cool.

5. Sillenet says:

It is really interesting for me to follow this discussion. Thank you for all comments!

I also thought about rear projection, but therefore it needs a blanket or something like that. But I think foam feels and reacts completely different. It is really difficult to communicate that by video.

@ “Looks like you have to push pretty hard for it to work.”

If you want more modification you have to press much harder, that is true. But there is no need for you to press that hard if you want to reach less modification. Impress reacts on the intensity of pressure.

@ “They’d be much more impressive than a green grid and orange circles.”

The applications are really simple. First of all I just want to open the pool of possibilities (squeezing out, flying through rooms, modeling, initiating movement) which is indeed much more comprehensive. It needs a new interaction language, another language like fingerPressed, fingerReleased or drag and drop at conventional touchscreen or at least an extended one.

I do not think that my project is finished, I think that is impossible because there is more in it than meets the eye.

The user can merge in and collaborate with this technology more than ever with conventional touchscreens with their technical stiffness. That is what I think about.

6. Felix Mitchell says:

Looks like you have to push pretty hard for it to work.

Why no gravity, smoke or fluid simulations? They’d be much more impressive than a green grid and orange circles.

How quickly does the material become all dirty and no good as a projection surface?

I really can’t think of any good use for this other than playing with it like in the video. Can its inventors?

7. TedJohnson says:

In all the movies I’ve seen where they try (or sometimes don’t try) to imagine a futuristic computer interface, I’ve never seen anything this interesting.

8. Lyddiechu says:

Reminds me of the abdomen-born gun in Videodrome.

9. Garr says:

… impressive (no pun intended)

10. mykie says:

I don’t get it…

it’s a foam pad with sensors underneath it, and an image projected on top of it.

Hardly a smooshable display.