Beautiful Peggy: Black-and-white LED array displaying video

[Evil Mad Scientist via MAKE:]

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Beautiful Peggy: Black-and-white LED array displaying video

1. eustace says:

BJC @ #2 – Google Arduino. Get an Arduino. Start making things with your Arduino.

The National Museum of Singapore has a huge one installed in the atrium. It takes up an entire wall and displays a live feed from a camera nearby.

I’m at work now, can’t Google for videos, but I’m sure they exist.

3. BCJ says:

That is awesome. I just wish I had the skill to make one.

4. BCJ says:

For those of us who are interested in getting into stuff like this but have never really screwed around with any hardware stuff before, does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to start?

Wow, that’s mighty fine.

Where can I gets me some o’ those there black LEDs?

6. trialex says:

@BCJ

Well this is actually a suprising easy, although expensive, project.

On the hardware side Evil Mad Scientist sell the peggy kits, I think you could get the basic kit + the wite LEDs for about US$200.

On the software side, Processing is free, and the two “sketches” the programs that run on your PC and on the hardware, are provided for free by Evil Mad Scientist

7. nixiebunny says:

Funny you should mention this. I’m in the middle of designing a big 48″ TV set using red LED display blocks that I found on ebay a while ago. It’s going to have 128 x 96 pixels, enough to be of PixelVision quality.

If anyone wants to know how I design the hardware to do such a thing, look at my blog Nixie Bunny in Engineering Land. (It’s a very new blog, so not much there yet.)

8. ROSSINDETROIT says:

When I was a lad this is what Television looked like.
    Is that Howdy Doody?