Samsung’s MID looks great; shame about the Windows Mobile

samsung-swd-m100-468.JPG

Ubergizmo, at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, likes the look of Samsung’s new pocket computer, the SWD-M100D. With WiMax and WiFi, it’s got great connectivity, and the form factor looks like a middle brother to the larger OQO and the smaller Nokia Internet Tablet. There’s even a 3-megapixel camera on the back.

So, what’s the problem? It has Windows Mobile 6.1, last year’s edition of last decade’s mobile operating system.

Samsung SWD-M100 MID Hands-On (WiMax) [Ubergizmo]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Samsung’s MID looks great; shame about the Windows Mobile

1. strider_mt2k says:

Yow.

Hardly what I expected from Samsung.
    The OS relegates it to niche status at best, bummer.

2. Robabob says:

The OS is not the problem it’s the fact it’s a Samsung. My last upgrade I went from a fantastically reliable HTC S710 to a Samsung Omina and I, like so many other users found it to be terrible in almost every way. I’ve switch to another HTC and all is good in the world again. The Samsung I had needed to be rebooted at least 5 times a week where as my HTC Touch Dual has not been rebooted since I got it 5 weeks ago.

3. ZekeSulastin says:

I hope WinMob 6.5 and 7 are actually good so I can see how they work the headlines here :S

4. strider_mt2k says:

I admit I did a couple of tweaks to mine, but am I like the only one who likes his Omnia?

Wow.

I think if they’re “actually good” then the headlines would read “wow, they’re actually good.” But the chances of that are pretty slim.

What is everyone’s gripe with windows mobile? There’s a huge set of applications for it, it works well together with the world’s most popular Operating System, it seemlessly integrates with Outlook, Exchange, other mailservers…

It even supports Copy/Paste! ;)

I for one find that some form of WM is a requirement for any new phone I get.