A brief history of cellphones

Motorola_DynaTAC_8000X.jpg

Mat’s got a gallery of mobile phones from the last two decades up at Wired.

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in cellphones. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A brief history of cellphones

1. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Yeah, and where’s the Realtor’s best friend, the Bag Phone?
    Cellular phones had a long history before they were pocketable.

2. nixiebunny says:

Shoot, I have a Motorola model that makes this one look tiny in comparison. It’s a 4″x4″x10″ aluminum brick with a separate handset on a coiled cord.

3. kerry says:

@nixiebunny -
    My grandfather had that motorola phone, he used it on his boat. This gallery gives me fond memories of my first phone, a motorola microTAC piper, circa 1995. I had it until 2002, when someone broke into my car and stole it.

4. aj says:

That website brings me back to 1999, when you had to load the entire page every time you wanted to tab forward to another image. I have expect to see a new episode of Suck.com after that.

5. aj says:

oops, HALF expect.

6. guy_jin says:

so apparently nothing happened in Cellular phones between 1980 and 1990?