Tiny models of classic Sega sit-down arcade games

sega_taikan_game_collection_wxp.jpg

Space Harrier. Super Hang-On. Out Run. Thunderblade. All are immortal hydraulic monsters released to arcades by Sega in the mid-1980s. And all are now tiny wee things that sit on your desk.

There’s a secret fifth game, which is probably Afterburner, and the set will be $49 when it ships in April: you can already pre-order it at NCSX.

These little fellas are really small — about 10cm long — but I wonder how hard it would be to make something similar with a real LCD display, running the (emulated) game in question. PocketCultMame springs to mind…

Sega Taikan Game Collection – Import Preorder [NCSX via GameSetWatch]

Update: Francesco writes:

A couple of weeks ago during the 48th Shizuoka Hobby Show I spotted the 5th “secret” model that as ROB predicted is AFTER BURNER.

From the photos I took it’s possibile to see that these new models are super detailed and way better than the 2 years old miniature racde machines models released by SEGA for the crane games.

All the best from Tokyo!

sega_taikan_game_collection_flyer.jpg

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Tiny models of classic Sega sit-down arcade games

1. Reverend Loki says:

I was really excited about this.. until I realized these were models only, and not little playable hand-held game machines. That lack of functionality reduced this from “OMG I must have this!” to “How cute”.

2. professor pedro says:

Technical question: With IE the images are hidden behind a transparent BMP. With Firefox, I can save the JPG. What’s up with that?

3. Rob Beschizza says:

That’s very weird and it isn’t supposed to do that. Hang on.

4. professor pedro says:

Not a big deal. I’m using IE 7 on XP and Sharpreader RSS reader. It just started happening today.

5. Rob Beschizza says:

Pedro, I can’t replicate your issue in IE — I’m on Windows 7 beta, however.

There’s no spaceball or other antidownload mechanism installed, though, just plain embedded jpgs. The only thing that I can think of is Moveable Type’s weird insistence on wrapping images in span tags.

6. eustace says:

Wowz! That accident with the shrink ray had me blue – I thought I would never play SuperHangOn again – but no…