iPhires: has your iPhone got hot?

afafminininiphone.jpg

A picture of my iPhone after it caught fire. Has anyone else experienced this? Please RT [twitpic via Cult of Mac]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to iPhires: has your iPhone got hot?

1. KurtMac says:

Crispy! I’ll go ahead and blame the Non-Apple-Certified adhesive screen protector for inhibiting the iPhone’s ability to dissipate heat during a charge. Or at least that what I’d expect Apple to claim. Its out of warranty, so he’s boned either way.

2. Halloween Jack says:

3. Rob Beschizza says:

It’s not convincing, is it?

4. zachary says:

This doesn’t strike me as impossible with any phone.

My Motorola phone wasn’t charging anymore because the charging connector was shorted and all of the electricity was dissipating as heat in to the connector/case. It was getting very hot. I could imagine that eventually it might burn.

I think that since charging connectors are so tiny on most phones, what is to stop the pins from shorting if the phone is abused?

Maybe a fire isn’t plausible… but heat certainly is.

Mythbusters?

Stop!
    /squints, holds index fingers to temples/
    Somewhere, an iPhone is burning!

6. michaelportent says:

If the icon on the plug wasn’t almost certainly warp-filtered with a satin overlay in Photoshop, I’d be a little frightened by this.

7. kaosmonkey says:

Isn’t this the reason they recalled all the chargers a few months ago?

(searching)

nope, that was because the prongs were breaking off in the outlets. This is a new one.

8. bardfinn says:

Anonymous @ #9:

Man, I do not have time for this. I have a /real career/ to study for.

9. salsaman says:

It’s a hoax– story doesn’t add up. Burned connector, but no signs of charring, burning or melting on the iPhone itself. Clean chrome edging, no fire extinguisher mess… this photo makes no sense; was it found like this, or on fire?

10. technogeek says:

Looks like all that’s burned is the connector. Perhaps the owner tossed the charger cable into a pile of something conductive that shorted it out and generated a lot of heat in the process…

I agree that the photo doesn’t particularly suggest that it was found this way, or that the phone itself had anything to do with the meltdown. Possible but seems unlikely.

I’m not so sure it’s fake.

Full story here:

MichaelPortent, what makes you so certain? The pixels?