Video: World Builder by Bruce Branit

Shot and rendered in Kansas City. (Well, Lee’s Summit.) It’s a love story, as well as a piece about the tools that regular users will use to composite photographs.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Video: World Builder by Bruce Branit

1. andyhavens says:

@#3 Technogeek: Caligari’s excellent TrueSpace 7.x is now available for free download, too. I believe Microsoft bought them to use it in their world building aps the way Sketchup is in Google.

@#6: Right. And 15 years ago, the idea that a junior high kid could do photo comps like we regularly see at worth1000.com would have been ludicrous. You’d need a mainframe computer and photo editing tools that cost tens-of-thousands of dollars. Now? The Gimp is free, and the Dell the kid got can do the job.

It would have (probably) been more like what we’ll get if the program had pulled a lot of the details out of his photos. IE, I line up my view with a 2D still pic and the renderer makes a good first guess of the place. I move to another place, line up another view, bzzang, etc. Then the user could concentrate on details that maybe aren’t in the photos.

It lacks the poetry it pretends to have I think. I have mixed feelings: so much work but hey, that aint “eternal sunshine of the spotless mind”.

Thankfully, the “regular user” probably isn’t willing to learn enough about physics, engineering, horticulture, composition, art, architecture, et al to ever make more than crap with a brilliant tool(s) like this without spending decades preparing. I can’t even imagine the kind of amateurish crap the “regular user” could generate with a tool like this.

Frankly, even on a film, it takes a team of highly skilled and experienced professionals to accomplish what this guy seems to do in minutes…

As one of those team of professionals, the idea of this tool is very exciting – but I still think Apple’s Knowledge Navigator beats this head over shoulders.

David B.

4. moon crazy says:

Hi, the video is very interesting and creative, but I wonder if anyone knows the name of the music that accompanies this video?

if so could tell me what the name?

5. nehpetsE says:

Anyone else notice the soundtrack’s similarity to the Transformers’?

‘that aint “eternal sunshine of the spotless mind”‘

That’s really your go-to example of a great movie?

7. bbonyx says:

Oh Great. Thanks Bruce, you’ve now set the bar for what every guy is now expected to deliver on special occasions.

“Sorry honey, a box of chocolates isn’t going to do it for Valentines any more. I want to wake up in a Tuscan villa without leaving my own home.”
    ;)

Fantastic work.

I saw this film a couple of years ago at the Seattle Film festival and was totally blown away. Too bad there is a not a dvd quality version available.

This is a great film that showcases Bruce Branit’s CG capability and artistry along with his story telling ability. This is by far, the best short film I have ever seen. I only hope that he gets a chance to do a full length motion picture some day.

9. monstrinho_do_biscoito says:

i hope i live long enough to be able to work with tools like this. My day job is pretty much this, but working on a screen with wireframe and flat shaded version of objects. i have to do 10 minute test renders if i want to see how something looks like with correct lighting and textures. a real time VR enviroment would be sweet.

10. JadedLion says:

The first part of the film really does feel like a day working on a video game. Maybe my relatives will finally understand what I do. =)

Lovely work all around. Is it possible to watch it in HD somehow? Maybe with a cash offering?

11. J France says:

Strider: Same here, but it totally caught me at the right time.

And Mr. Branit should be more worried that it would be comparable Eternal Sunshine….

It’s hard to really pack a good punch in short stories, and often the one element / joke / theme focused on doesn’t hold up to the strain story tellers have put it under in order to engage with the audience – this is a great example of that not being the case.

Also: Want (the tech, not the reason to use it)

12. Daemon says:

Awsome, even though it ended exactly how i thought it was going to.

13. ChunkyMonkeyBrain says:

Hometown KC pride! w00t!

14. bonafidebob says:

Reminds me a lot of (maybe inspired in part by?) Google SketchUp.

15. strider_mt2k says:

I was moved by it.

When I saw the sadness come to her face I could feel how things might unfold…and they did.

Happy stories, bah!

Pain, longing, sadness, loss…THAT’S where the meat and potatoes are.

(‘probably just caught me at the right moment.)

16. John Hudgens says:

Bruce Branit is also one of the guys responsible for 405, one of the first great online short films…

17. technogeek says:

Nicely told.

#1: The stretch/cut/push/paint interactions predate SketchUp; SketchUp’s just the first decent widely-distributed free tool to use ‘em. (I’m not even sure of that; it may just be the best popularized.) We were doing simple versions of this back in the early 80′s to build 3D building models from floorplans.