Oldie but Baddie: The Etherkiller

etherkiller.jpg

[Fiftythree.org]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Oldie but Baddie: The Etherkiller

In before “I accidentally the whole datacenter.”

2. didymos says:

I used to work as a tech at Best Buy prior to their addition of the “Geek Squad”. Items similar to this were not entirely uncommon there, and were considered to be tools of the trade.

What’s notable is that we would use such things to *help* the customer. When the service center would return an under-warranty device after failing to properly fix it for the third time, we would use these tools to ensure that there would no question when we returned it to them whether to attempt another repair or to replace it.

As a result, I have seen a repair estimate of over $800 on a $250 minidisc player, and a repair estimate for a computer on which the service center tech noted, “the only part that doesn’t need to be replaced is the case.”

3. Gary61 says:

I hear they have the Internet on computers now.

4. arkizzle says:

This is basically a reworking of the old Blotto Box, of Jolly Roger fame..

5. muteboy says:

Yowch. Reminds me of Gord’s GameShark: http://www.actsofgord.com/Wrath/chapter03.php

6. David Carroll says:

GeekMan (#7)

If that happens please nominate me for a Darwin Award ’cause I am so going to do this.

Strangely, I am having trouble sourcing Camlock to RJ-45 adaptors. I guess I will have to make them up myself…

7. David Carroll says:

Hmm.. I’ve got an old 10mb hub that has been lying around out of service for like 10 years. I think I could SneakerNet data faster than it could. I am very tempted to hook up it’s Ethernet ports to a 30 ampere 220 volt outdoor service I happen to have access to, just to see what would happen! I’m thinking of tying all 8 pins of three ports to each phase of the 220 for maximum carnage.

If I ever get around to it I’ll post a link to video of the result…

8. monopole says:

Power over Ethernet (PoE) ur doin it wrong!

9. strider_mt2k says:

I think this was confiscated in a prison for computers.

Likely one of the inmates would use it on the other in some kind of squabble over bandwidth or something.

10. Enochrewt says:

I bet that sends a hell of a magic packet.

11. carpoon says:

This is an old BOFH joke.

12. GeekMan says:

David C: So if you suddenly stop posting, we know what happened.

13. Mister Staal says:

This is how a former employer of mine recommended we treat speakers with intermittent faults in the crossovers. No longer were the faults intermittent. And the ozone smell is lovely.

Also, watching a 15″ sub driver dance across the floor to 60Hz at 120VAC is pretty fun (until the circuit blows).

14. WeightedCompanionCube says:

Ethernet is supposed to have 1500 V RMS isolation across the coupling transformer.

Supposed to. This will find the ones that don’t.

15. mdf says:

Known in our shop as the Act of God jumper.

funny till your three year old gets their hands on it

17. kleer001 says:

That and a timer would make a kill switch for the terminally paranoid.

18. GeekMan says:

@ David C. #13: Now you’re just going for bonus points!

19. O_P says:

This should probably come under HOWTO AND DIE.

20. WeightedCompanionCube says:

DIDYMOS – if you didn’t manage to scorch or melt the case a little, you weren’t trying hard enough!