ABL PDS75 industrial-class apple peeler

Following Joel’s post about the beautiful and elegant mechanical apple peeler that Mat Honan’s dad owns, reader KPKPKP submits the ABL PDS75 Apple Peeler, Cutter and Corer, its modern industrial antithesis. It can deal with many fruits simultaneously.

ffapprove.jpg

The music makes this video. You just know the machine is humming that tune to itself as it works.

Update: Added achievement badge – Joel

Update II: Noir writes: “That music is DJ Krush “Endless Railway” off the album entitled Zen. It’s a great album. “

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to ABL PDS75 industrial-class apple peeler

1. Duffong says:

I saw something similarly horrifying at the Kraft Foods cheese singles factory. Frightfully distopian efficiency.

#3 Ike, it sounds a bit like Dr Octagon, something from Instrumentalyst maybe

3. szielins says:

DCulberson, don’t discourage him. We’ve got the makings of a feel-good movie with a John Henry theme. Robotron and his trusty penknife against the ABL PDS75! Can he strike a blow for human superiority by proving he can outpeel a room-sized static piece of industrial equipment built to do nothing whatsoever BUT peel apples?

4. tels7ar says:

I like they way they call coring ‘seed cell removal’.

5. roboton says:

As the apple is cut into eighths it looks a lumpen example of what a real apple should look like.

I am disturbed that much metal went into simply cutting an apple so that millions of people don’t have to. I can do that much more efficiently with a knife and a few seconds of my personal time…

can i have one at home, please?

7. Rob Beschizza says:

Noir, thanks for the tip on the music!

8. WonderFoo says:

“It deals with apple skins the way the Chinese government deals with diseased chickens.”

…by accepting a bribe and allowing a distributor to sell them back to the public anyways?

I kid… I kid…

Roboton, “efficiently?” I do not think that means what you think it means.

Excellent point. I mostly just pictured the severely dystopian movie where hundreds of humans had to do this job. Day in, day out.

I like your movie better.

11. ike says:

1. I wonder what the music is in that video?

2. I want to see a machine that makes those “baby-cut” carrots!

12. ike says:

(But my searching has not found video of such a machine yet)

13. BaS says:

@ Ike, “2. I want to see a machine that makes those “baby-cut” carrots!”

I’m not sure if it still is what they use (most likely a modification of the machine) but the original person who “created” baby cut carrots, just took all the disfigured bits and pieces that had the bad parts cut off and then tossed them into the thing used for peeling potatos to smooth them out.

14. noir says:

That music is DJ Krush “Endless Railway” off the album entitled Zen. It’s a great album. Also features a song that’s featured on the videogame, Crackdown, entitled “Paradise Bird Theory”. If you don’t own this album already, you should definitely buy it, since it’s an instant classic in the electronica genre.

15. noir says:

16. Jack says:

This is like an apple war crime video.

Prepare to face your victims in the Hague, corers!

17. Rob Beschizza says:

DAAAH DAAAAAAAAA DADADADADAD NIIRRRRRRRR NIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

18. Haroun says:

My first job, other than delivering newspapers, was running an apple peeling machine, a step between the hand operated one from the other day & the automated beast of the video. It was a miracle that I didn’t get my hand impaled while loading apples into the holder that swung out to take an apple, then swung back into the machine to rise up & impale the apple on a shaft that spun it as the peeler rode up the side. Great way to start a Saturday morning at 16 years old, hung over & operating a machine like that.

19. MajorD says:

Nooooobody escapes frrom Missus Tweedy’s Apple Farrm!

20. Bugs says:

That’s oddly beautiful. A really neat, effecient-looking solution to the problem.

21. neurolux says:

But isn’t the peel the most nutritious part of the apple?

22. efergus3 says:

#13, Majord Good flick. Thanks, I’ll have to watch it again tomorrow.

maybe it’s just me, but where the crap do all the apple slices go? is this in a pie factory or something?