Palm OS is tabled

hkpug-party-31109-3.jpg.jpg

The Hong Kong PDA User Group brought all their old Palm OS-powered devices together for a final farewell party, as Palm prepares to launch a wholly new operating system with the upcoming Pre smartphone.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Palm OS is tabled

1. zuzu says:

Hold on while I dig out my Handspring Visor Edge

2. Tommy says:

It had a nice run. I’m still fond of the chunky 1st gen ones. They just plain felt good in the hand. Plus, I had a stylus made out of an antenna. Extendable!

3. wastrel says:

I’ve had 7 different Palm PDA’s over the years, I am going to miss it a little. Still not 100% settled in with my G1 “googlephone”.

4. Enochrewt says:

Others may see a table of obsolete gadgets, I see a table of super customizable universal remotes.

5. hohum says:

I do believe I see my beloved Z22 there! In all honesty, Palm OS was pretty ugly, never really got a good facelift… But it was so functional and it just had a certain charm to it. I was always willing to stand up for it over WinMo. I still have that Z22 in my bag although I don’t really have need for a PDA at all right now… Got me through college though. RIP, Palm OS.

6. midknyte says:

There’s a real shame in it all, in that while the Palm OS is quite dated – you can still do more with it (a Palm handheld) than you can with most current smartphones [that are hobled by their phone network/providers. i.e. missing/restricted bluetooth functionality. DRM. Single source app stores. etc.].

7. Darren Garrison says:

I could do a pretty good start of a table like that myself. I’ve been using Handspring Visor (Palm OS) PDAs for e-book readers for several years, and buy up spares whenever I can get them cheap enough (under $5.00 or so) on Ebay. Right now I have 2 Visor Edge, a Visor Prism, 3-4 Visor Neo, and 3-4 Visor Deluxe, plus various spare parts. Still use them to this day.

8. mdh says:

Me too!!! best recycling idea ever!

Hell, I still have a Treo 680 as my primary phone. The main reason? It just won’t die!

This thing has survived full water immersion, being rolled over by chairs, 4 foot drops onto concrete countless times… and the only repair cost has been $30 for a used LCD+digitizer from eBay when I finally managed to crack it. And this is without any kind of protective case.

My new Blackberry from work got the Otter Box treatment the first day, because I just know it won’t stand up to the same by itself.

Sad to see PalmOS go… the UI is still more responsive than any WinCE phone. Probably because it doesn’t multitask – which on a phone really isn’t a bad thing.

10. tw15 says:

Ugh, that’s really confusing. Tabled has completely the oppposite meaning in the UK to what it does in the USA. Threw me for a moment.