The Sound Advice Project, waveforms as bracelets

soundadvice.jpg.jpg

Designed as a jumping-off point for parents to discuss drug use with their children, the “Sound Advice Project” converts voice recordings into bracelets with rings representing the waveform of a parent’s recorded admonishment. They’re $18. It’s unknown if there is any sort of vetting process for each recording, but I can testify that “Drugs can be fun and informative. And used responsibly can be part of any healthy person’s cognitive life” will just fit into the Flash applet’s six-second recording space. [via Animal

Update: This was originally a thesis project from David Bizer, manufactured using Ponoko. Cool!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to The Sound Advice Project, waveforms as bracelets

@33

yeah, that’s a problem. but i already found a solution: i’m just making it way more expensive.
    I’m working on a bling version (solid silver & gold). Should be availble within the next 2 weeks.

2. pKp says:

Awesome. Can’t be that hard to make, too – just get your sample, print the waveform and model it with a Dremel or something…

…brb, borrowing neighbour’s Dremel :p

WOW,
    DOPE CONCEPT,
    just one problem:

it was never intended to be limited for an anti drug campaign.

and: the responsible agency forgot to mention me as the originator.

it was part of my final thesis, and can be seen amongst other projects here:

thanks redbearded for putting the link to ponoko
    ( http://www.ponoko.com/showroom/bza/odb-603 )

4. unclemike says:

My iBook running Firefox couldn’t get the voice recorder to work.

I cry.

5. apoxia says:

This is a completely awesome idea! Not the drug prevention part, that is outstandingly ill-conceived.

@ #10 – heheh yes, one wonders what these things really do say!

Though it could have been said in some weird way, this sample bracelet definitely doesn’t look like a normal rendition of “I believe in you.” The phrase should have 5 syllables, of which the first, third, and 6th are the longest and most sonorous (amplitude peaks). In addition, after the ‘v’, the entire phrase is sonorant sounds, so there should be no “interruptions” (periods where the amplitude drops basically to zero). In fact, although the “resolution” of a bracelet obviously makes it a bit tough to evaluate anything in any detail, most of the examples on the website seem a bit off… hmmmm…

7. michaelportent says:

@Pork Musket: Hahaha. Good times. Yeah, it’s not as if somebody wasn’t there with you during creation would know what it was – unless they were some sort of freak audio analysis expert.

Now where do you suppose I can get a 6-second recording of Ben Stein saying, “But seriously, it looks like it’s sampled at about 10Hz… it can’t possibly be intelligible”?

What a cool way to help your kids think twice.

10. Pixel says:

#24 a lathe would be easier, they sell tiny tabletop hobbist lathes that would be perfect for this.

Now that I’m thinking about lathes, I want a table with turned legs that are the waveform for “table leg”.

11. OM says:

…A bracelet? Hell, it works as a desk toy just as depicted above. Just enscribe the phrase on the plexiglas and put it on a nice stand.

this way cool. awesome.
    – PBM

13. retchdog says:

WARNING! I just keyed in and played back the amplitudes on that bracelet! Your children are NOT safe!

The bracelet *clearly* says “Islam is the Light”.

(But seriously, it looks like it’s sampled at about 10Hz… it can’t possibly be intelligible.)

14. urshrew says:

And by ‘cool’ we mean, completely pathetic.

15. pox says:

The Amen Break is 6 seconds long.

16. Hexatron says:

Yeah… great concept, wasted as a WWJD-type bracelet.

I want one with the Paranoid Android guitar solo. In blue.

17. retchdog says:

@19: In that case, I’m sure God would intervene and increase the information directly into your brain…

18. pox says:

This bracelet automatically loops your sample, too.

19. RareBlueMonkey says:

Imagine if you could lay this out, take a photo through an iPhone app and play the audio back. I’d buy a bunch.

20. alphanon says:

I sent in a six second recording of a wicked bong rip. Let’s see how that works out ;)

21. Bugs says:

Am I the only one who thinks this is awesome? Sod the saccharine advice, you could get the waveform of your favourite short guitar riff, your partner right at the end of sexytiems, or even Kirk shouting “KAAAHHHHHNN!”.

Depending how much the international postage is, I’m seriously tempted by this.

22. zootboing says:

All I could think of was that I want the opening treble line from Postal Service’s “Such Great Heights” – it’s our song. Screw THEIR message- this ROCKS for science meets jewelry!

23. bardfinn says:

Waveform Resolution On Bracelet: Very Low. Very Lossy. Severe Doubts regarding ability to map back to source waveform.

24. tresser says:

i really like this concept for the bracelet (despite it being clever anti-drug propaganda). i want one.

25. pork musket says:

I wanna give one that says “I wanna bone you” to a girl I know, but tell her it says something sweet.

To heck with all that drek. I want my yard man to bone you.

27. JPW says:

Mine would say ‘toenail’ so loud that it would be, uh, clipping. . . .

28. Brainspore says:

I want some corduroy jeans that talk when my legs rub together.

29. Bennessy says:

I’m getting one that says “Bracelet”.

30. redbearded says:

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!
    Somebody else is already doing this!
    There is a maker on Ponoko who is doing exactly this and from the looks of it, he was doing it first.

31. retchdog says:

The bracelet *clearly* says “Islam is the Light”.

32. jmnugent says:

I love the core idea (random message as waveform bracelet) but the anti-drug propaganda turns me off from actually buying it. (Now if they said something like “All proceeds donated to ______ Recovery program” or something like that, I’d be much more inclined to consider buying.)

@#22: Concealing your audio nerd status fail. Hilarious abstract pun win, though, so, you come out even.

@#32 – ah yes, but they’re doing it *cheaper*, and less cost always trumps original innovation. ;)

35. strider_mt2k says:

I wonder what old table and chair legs say?