Video: Industrial robot as theme park ride

This is so dangerously awesome I have a hard time believing it’s real, but the laughs from the coworkers sold me. (Thanks, Jimbo!)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Video: Industrial robot as theme park ride

1. igpajo says:

It’s all fun and games
    till the robot spills your brains.

2. Patrick Austin says:

Do not fuck with industrial equipment. I wouldn’t worry about it going off course and hitting the floor. Robots reliably do the same thing over and over and over again millions of times.

The problem is that when something meat-based gets in the way, the robot continues doing the thing it was programmed to do. If one of those seatbelts gets wrapped around the axis of rotation…

I had a coworker get his head crushed flat by a robot when he got a bit too nonchalant about disconnecting the power before working on gigantic robotic assembly station…

3. Zan says:

Legoland in Denmark has had such a ride for years:

4. Zan says:

Apparently, Legoland in San Diego, CA has had one as well since 2005:

5. misterfricative says:

Two words: Industrial Jackass.

Somebody call Johnny Knoxville.

6. Bugs says:

dculberson: I don’t believe you.

As long as we’re posting old-but-awesome robot links:

An industrial robot arm being controlled via a Wii remote. Hang on, let me correct myself: an industrial robot arm weilding a sword and being controlled vai a Wii remote.

Chemical Brother’s “Believe” robot dejavu anyone??!

8. guy_jin says:

that’s what GM, Ford, and Chrysler need to do. convert the factories they aren’t using into theme parks. they’ll be back in the black in no time.

9. Latente says:

old!

10. sanity says:

I’m pretty sure that’s a FANUC device that is not in a Ford factory. Also, FANUC was not real happy with people doing this video.

It’s still awesome, and check this out!

11. ROSSINDETROIT says:

That looks like more fun than forklift rides.

I still can’t believe they did that, considering how incredibly dangerous that is.

Well, let me modify that statement: I believe they did it. I just wish I couldn’t believe it. If you can believe that.

13. xzzy says:

It almost wasn’t awesome, he just about sanded off the top of his head in the first few seconds.

I’d probably alter the program to give a couple more inches of clearance for that part.

14. Tenn says:

It’s funny until someone gets hurt, then it’s hilarious?

This was awesome. I’m glad he still has his pate.

The rumor is that the Quiddich-based ride at the upcoming Universal Harry Potter expansion uses this technology, essentially.

16. tweygant says:

I worked as an automation installation tech during the 80′s automation boom and bust. You would be amazed at the after hours fun we had “Testing” the equipment. Try riding a 50 ft tall ASRS Crane full tilt a half mile then having it come to an abrupt halt to put a pallet on a rack. Or racing smaller agv’s like skate boards down a ramp in a large car assembly facility.

17. dross1260 says:

“HUARF”

I don’t think that Ford has any factories that are pre-fab metal buildings. Still, it is all fun and games until someone gets crushed by a robot.

19. RedShirt77 says:

If I remember correctly they sold this robot after the video was made.

20. WalterBillington says:

It started just as fun … then … it squashed Pete … and then … it seemed to enjoy it, did more and more, seemed to follow some kind of instruction, kept chanting “squash ‘em, squash ‘em” … I was so scared, I hid, and now … more of them are doing it – they’re mobile – how’d they do that, they were bolted down … it’s so confusing, so fast, so … deliberate …

is anybody hearing this? fzzt

This is nothing special. There’s a series of 4 of these chairs as a ride at Legoland. Went on it in 2007. Fun but not dangerous.