Dell Adamo

dell_adamo5.jpg

Dell’s Adamo is .65-inches thick at its thickest point, weighs four pounds, has a 13.4″ 1,366 x 768 display, 2GB of RAM, and Intel GMX4500 video. Dell claims 5 hours of battery life, and it has 2 USB ports and a USB/eSata combo port. It has a 1.2 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and comes in black or white.

At $2,000 to start, it makes the MacBook Air look cheap. For $2,700, you get WWAN, a faster processor, and 4GB of RAM. It’s available for pre-order now.

CNET is getting the exclusive and has posted its unboxing. Early this morning, Blogee.net spotted the Adamo 9 on a compatibility list: a netbook version! Netbook choice has more information.

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Dell Adamo

mr.skeleton, you are completely right. That is hilarious. I expect them to say things like “portability is the essence of computing, and lightness is the essence of portability!” … well, except that makes too much sense.

I do have to wonder why they made it so weak in the CPU and GPU department. At least the CPU is easy for them to fix.

One advantage it will have over the Air is the larger number of ports. For some reason Apple keeps honing down their port selection and Dell keeps expanding theirs. Firewire, eSata, and an express card port go a long way toward improving a notebook.

I just read some more of the specs and realized that the base model comes with an SSD. The Cnet one had a 64gb but Dell claims it will ship with a 128gb SSD. That’s an enormous upgrade over the $1799 Macbook Air; only the $2499 Macbook Air comes with a 128gb SSD. The CPU and GPU remain inferior, of course. But as mentioned in the hands-on article, those may change for the final shipping version.

Undeniably cute; but a really hard sell for the price. It had better be good when the MacBook Air, or the various tiny Sony things, are actually cheaper.

4. shutz says:

Call me back when they release the Dell Adama.

5. mr.skeleton says:

The official website looks like a parody of a luxury brand. I half expect to see Zoolander holding one.

6. killdeer says:

Exactly what I was thinking @ #1

7. Garr says:

The 1,366 x 768 LED display is behind a sheet of edge-to-edge glass

It’s right there…

8. Rob Beschizza says:

Woop, silly me

I got to play with it at work today. I cannot say I was too impressed, I am even a Dell employee. I think the Air is much more impressive and especially since the thing is a pound more than the air. I think this was way overhyped. Would rather have a Latitude 4200 or 4300 more.

10. GadgetGav says:

“At $2,000 to start, it makes the MacBook Air look cheap.”
    It also makes the MacBook Air look well spec’d in the procesor, graphics and storage departments and light too…

11. retchdog says:

1.2GHz is kinda weak; I guess the 5 hours of battery life go into a very bright screen and/or video. Still I feel happy with my X61s (~$1400).