1981 Atari Ring

ATARI-2.jpg

From Sakura Shimizu’s blog: “This man’s ring features a precise cast of the original Atari computer chip out of 18 karat gold. There is silver version, too.”

I’ll take a Zilog Z80, myself!

1981 ATARI Ring, 2008 [sakurakoshimizu]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to 1981 Atari Ring

1. PaulR says:

A 24-pin DIP. One of the more common chip packages.

How do you know it’s from an Atari? And not from the Coke machine in the hotel hallway?

2. yezzer says:

I love it! Though as strider suggests, gold plate the real thing.

3. strider_mt2k says:

That’s what I’m saying, Paul.

A thin coat of gold on the top of a bona-fidey like chip might let the imprint show through, and THAT would be the hotness methinks.

4. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Z80 has issues with its zero page access. 6502 all the way, man!

5. HeatherB says:

Just in time for all the June weddings.

6. yellowgoat says:

Many years ago, a relative who worked in Intel gave me a necklace with the pendant being a gold frame of a real pentium chip (probably defective one) inside. It was only available inside Intel’s own gift shop. They should make it available to the general public, because everytime I wear it, someone ask about it. Of course it may not be as cool as Atari chip, but they did include a real thing inside.

7. Rickmccl says:

Freebies from chipmakers used to be more common, in my experience.. I have two Athlon paperweights, lucite containing real Athlon socket A packages; a keychain from Intel containing a pentium-60 chip – the chip, not the package! and back in the day they gave me a working 486DX100, complete with a heatsink as high as it was wide – biggest thing I’d ever seen.

Back to the ring topic, tho, I think I need an 8086 for maximum bling — 40-pin package would cover multiple fingers for the brass knuckle or rapper-name effect.

Or get enough various different rings to have a motherboard on your hand. “Is that a punch out, or did I just LOG YOU ON!”

8. Michiel says:

Finally!

9. airship says:

Or you could go with this custom sterling silver Boing Ball Ring, which incorporates an actual aluminum mouse logo plate from the original Amiga computer:

10. strider_mt2k says:

It’s a representation of the chip.
    That’s no good.

If the chip is that size, gold plate it…or something and make it out of the real thing!

THAT could be any old chip that happens to share the same form factor!

I don’t want a diamond rendered in gold!

Nice idea! Real chip or not…
    I do agree that for the ones that holds this particular chip close to their cardiovascular double system single pump, might like to muse over the fact that they are wearing a genuine 1981 ATARI chip – that was in fact part of the legendary dawn of these machines, and are still objects of great fascination and empirical importance.
    However, the average (ignorant?) commoner will surely never beset their minds, even though they are fully cognizant to the concept of this being an amusing representation.

PS! It could become a secret sign for the circuit benders to recognize each other out there:)

E – Norway