Teenage Engineer OP-1 synth & controller (sound test)

op-1.jpg

Teenage Engineering is building a relatively small portable synthesizer and controller, the OP-1. Here is their display test using a high-density OLED (I think). (Thanks, Tom!)

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Teenage Engineer OP-1 synth & controller (sound test)

Someone needs a tripod.. and a camera capable of being put on a tripod.

T H I S I S C L E A R L Y A N A P R I L F O O L

3. Brother Provisional says:

Is this made by real teenagers, or is that just the name of the company?

4. Clay says:

I’m pretty sure “Teenager” is just an English word the Swedes thought sounded cool.

Anyway, that device is gorgeous.

april fool

With all those electronic skills you’d think someone could hold a camera still and record the audio directly in-unless that dog barking was generated by the OP-1???

7. Clay says:

Ok, seriously… I couldn’t stop thinking about this thing and ended up signing up for the beta.

It’s everything I love about Scandinavian design. 11 months or so to put aside the cash, I guess.

I did not mean to be so dismissive in my comment earlier; this is a beautiful looking machine. I can only hope it comes in at a price that I can justify for a toy. (Since I’m not much of a musician.)

9. DSMVWL THS says:

Stunning design. And I love the size: I’ve been lamenting the fact that while I can get really small controllers, I haven’t seen any actual synthesizers worth their salt that are smaller than the Microkorg.

However, I’m not sure yet about this thing’s actual capabilities. I listened to the MP3 demos, and they’re not great. Parts of them were recorded too hot, so there is clipping (I looked at the waveforms to confirm this). But there are also a lot of odd pops and clicks, even in the sections recorded at decent levels.

FM synthesis can produce some cool sounds — I still pull out my early ’90s Yamaha PSS-480 occasionally, to add some of that FM flavor to my music. But it remains to be seen exactly how broad a range of sounds this synth will be capable of producing.

I enjoyed the art-deco-ish font they used for the numbers.

11. johnnyaction says:

I am a sucker… I signed up for b3ta testing.

I <3 knobs and stuff and this looks like it could be sweet if it can make teh crunchies as well as the noises I heard out of it so far.