This is a motorcycle helmet

brazhlem.jpg

These are DOT-approved (or at least were) motorcycle helmets crafted by a Brazilian artist who uses “animal teeth, fangs, bones, and hairs besides fines stones from the Amazon river” to make these $100 helmets. [via I, Gizmodo]

This entry was posted in brazil. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to This is a motorcycle helmet

lol! awesome! going in a straight line on a motorbike is overrated, it’s all about the corners, so i reckon you could cope with this :)

2. Antinous / Moderator says:

I never knew that Orcs and Ferengi had compatible DNA.

These are very cool, but it seems having your vision blocked in the middle of your face would not be very good.

I thing were is the correct term. I am sure there is a problem with visibility considering how much of the visor is covered and the size of the eye holes.

5. ill lich says:

Yeah, it’s safe for the motorcyclist to have the helmet, but it’s so insane looking I can see it causing other motorists to take their attention off the road: “Holy COW! Did you see that? A freaking ALIEN on a Harley!! Look. . . back there . . .” (CRASH!)

6. ValuedRug says:

Cool craftwork, but this really hits home considering a relative just died in a motorcycle accident.

7. Tensegrity says:

Luke: With the blast shield down, I can’t even see. How am I supposed to fight?

Ben: Your eyes can deceive you. Don’t trust them.

YES! Such a sweet idea, apart from that whole overrated seeing out of the helmet thing. Perhaps we’ll see a post about the first “hi viz” helmet crash?

9. Daemon says:

Awsome. Too bad the hugely reduced visibility makes it a total deathtrap for the person driving the bike.

Well maybe the visability isn’t such a problem, if someone is stupid enough to want to dress up like they’re going to a childrens fancy dress party when they go out biking then they’re probably not clever enough to survive too long on the road anyway

You know doctors have a special name for motorcyclists… they call them ‘Organ Donors.’ I’ve personally witnessed the aftermath of someone coming off a motorcycle and it ‘s ugly.
    Cool as this helmet is (and it is really well done) surely there must be blind spots in the rider’s visibility because of the shape and position of the ‘eyes.’ Not a good idea really.

12. fergus1948 says:

13. Takuan says:

very pretty. The danger? Startling the twit in the car next to so he flinches at the wheel and knocks you under a truck.

Fergus, you disgust me. I’ve probably been riding motorcycles longer than you’ve been alive, and while you have a valid point about visibility limits from inside this helmet, your other comment lacks the intelligence the readers of BB
    usually have. Doctors do not call motorcycles “donorcycles”. No, they call unskilled riders “donors”, much like they call unskilled auto drivers “donors”. The donorcycle tag refers to the group that thinks they are immortal and rides like they are. Sooner or later, they’ll have that one accident that will either kill them or make them get off motorcycles forever…
    However, with training and proper rider etiquette,
    you can also grow old gracefully on a bike,
    I’d advise you to watch “Worlds fastest Indian”,
    a semi-biography of Bert Munroe, a senior (+ 60 years) gentleman from NZ who set multiple world speed records that still stand!

And by the way, that’s one radical helmet. Looks too much like a Sleestack for me though. My standard “stand out in a crowd of bikes” helmet is a viking helmet, with horns and braided blond hair.
    Not sure why, but every time I wear it, my Ipod only plays “Flight of the Valkyries”.

Only a hundred bucks?!! For that price I’d get one just for playing airsoft LARP games. I’d love to see a diving helmet by the same artist. It could be designed to have that “Innsmouth look.”

16. masomenos says:

Reminds me I’ve been meaning to order some helmet ears: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Helmet-Ears-p-16678.html

100 bucks ain’t bad.

It looks cool and all, but it seems like it would distract and even scare some drivers, enough to cause dangerous driving conditions. (We want drivers watching where they’re going and not gawking at a dude on a motorcycle.) And there’s the visibility problem for the wearer. Beautiful piece of work though.

19. eti says:

Do they make one for cyclopes?

20. HeatherB says:

I had nightmares about this last night.

21. ToddBradley says:

No frakking way would I wear this while riding. What’s the point of even wearing a helmet if it’s going to decrease your field of view so much? You’d be safer taking the helmet off and painting a big target on your head.

Plus, I’ll bet it’s hot as hell in there. I’m sure the vents are blocked by the decorations.

And Fergus, on the topic of your “donorcycles” fantasy, don’t forget these words of wisdom:

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist’s office.

In addition to the visibility issues, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that motorcycle helmets are intentionally smooth so that in a fall the rider will slide across the ground. Having all this stuff on your helmet might “catch” on the ground and rip your head off in a high speed fall, no?

23. CapnSoggy says:

#17 Great comment…

Work around the problem.
    This is the perfect treatment for a “Betty Helmet”! (ie passenger/pillion lid)

Same shock-inducing effect without the fatal “can’t see the idiot on mobile phone making left turn with right signal engaged” drawback.

if you make a helmet less ‘slippery’ when it hits the pavement, it snaps your neck. So I would say these are not DOT approved in the slightest.

25. Tim says:

Anyone know where I can purchase one of these? Email me at tracysman2328@yahoo.com

Fantastic — and just like Gwar!