Three examples of dot matrix printer music

Younnat used this dot matrix printer to provide the rhythm track to his marimba and synthesizer etude. Soothing.

Sue Harding made music with dot matrix that is a bit more glitchy and alien.

smyf2emusic.jpg

Canadian art duo [The User] made an entire album titled “Symphony #2 for Dot Matrix Printers” by programming large series of text files to play 14 different printers. Dig those track names. (You can grab this on eMusic.)

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Three examples of dot matrix printer music

Please do not forget Man or Astro-Man?’s “Simple Text File” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YDR62I/ref=dm_dp_trk11 Not quite as fancy as a 14 printer symphony but still fun.

don’t forget “A Simple Text File” by Man Or Astro-Man?: http://www.touchandgorecords.com/bands/album.php?id=228

3. JT Montreal says:

Sue Harding has 2 (or 3) Amiga 2000’s and one Amiga 500. Major Geek cred! (As if making dot-matrix printer music NEEDS more geek cred!)

(If the computer that is not in the row of 3 is a 3rd A2000, it’s got the floppy disk drive in a weird spot; not impossible or even uncommon)

JT Montreal, good catch! I think the last computer might be an Amiga 3000. The position of the floppy drive is just about right and it looks shorter than a 2000.

(sigh) I miss my Amiga 3000! Well, I don’t miss the ZIP chip memory that was incredibly unreliable.. hmm. [goes and boots up an emulator] I don’t really miss it.

I have the CD of the album by [The User]. It’s awesome.

7. ViolettVerq says:

Coool!

Reminds me of the ‘Failing hard drive sounds':

You open two or three of these and you got cool music.

8. Brother Provisional says:

Yeah, [The User] is pretty fantastic. The production value of their recordings are top notch.

9. jimkirk says:

In college (in the mid ’70s) I remember people playing music with a massive IBM line printer. The kind with all possible characters cast on a 2 foot long metal rod. There were 132 of these rods all moving up and down appropriately to print a full line at a time.

Would have made a nice bass section along with the dot matrix printers.