Jumpei Mitsui’s monumental LEGO Battleship Yamato

yamato_008b.jpg.jpg

The Bros. Brick brings word that Jumpei Mitsui’s six-year project, the minifig-scale Battleship Yamato, is finally complete.

Length: 6.6 meters (22 feet) from bow to stern
Width: 1 meter (3 feet) at the widest point midship
Scale: 1/40
Time to complete: 6 years, 4 months
Parts: 200,000 LEGO elements
Weight: 150 kilograms (330 pounds)

This entry was posted in japan, yamato and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Jumpei Mitsui’s monumental LEGO Battleship Yamato

1. OM says:

…Now, *really* impress me: convert this to Space Cruiser Yamato with the Wave Motion gun, -and- do it under *5* years!

2. Hanglyman says:

How can anyone afford that many LEGO? The first thing I always wonder when I see a huge LEGO setup is where the money came from, especially if it’s made from rare or discontinued parts.

3. bbonyx says:

My favorite part of this particular model is that it is more sculptural than most we see these days (my own included). Rather than using domes or other curved elements for gun turrets, etc. he chose to tackle things they way the Master Builders do, by crafting the rounded objects in built-up layers. Nice to see things being done old school.

If that’s the Yamato, where’s the Wave Motion Gun?

5. strider_mt2k says:

No…uhh…no Wave Motion Gun?

Relax, I’m kidding! Lego is about fun, remember?

The thing is gorgeous and should be on permanent public display.
    Just incredible.

6. devophill says:

@8- And still no Wave Motion Gun.

7. Francesco Fondi says:

Wow! Time fly!! Seems yesterday I submitted this:

Otsukaresama desu! Jun!!!

8. Chrs says:

That’s remarkable! I can’t help wondering, though: at what point does it become easier to make the damn thing out of metal?

9. Downpressor says:

the Yamato as a thing is neat, but as a symbol its still creepy.