Japanese cell phones designed by artist Yayoi Kusama

6a00d8341c5d3253ef01156f217226970c-320wi.jpg

One of my favorite artists in the world is Yayoi Kusama, an octogenarian Japanese lady with an obsessive, clearly genius mind who has checked herself into a mental hospital after a trauma-filled childhood and a career that entailed spending the fifties in New York City with Andy Warhol, Yoko Ono, and Donald Judd. She just draws dots everywhere, on the ceiling, on the table, on herself–and now, on some creatively packaged Au by KDDI cell phone handsets which were announced last week. [Reuters via TokyoMango]

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Art and Instruments. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Japanese cell phones designed by artist Yayoi Kusama

1. tuckels says:

I saw an exhibition of hers in Sydney a few weeks ago. There were giant cloud-like pillows. I wanted to touch them so bad.

I had no idea who he was either.

3. HeatherB says:

I live right near the Mattress Factory and have been to her Infinity Room. It’s amazing and probably a room I have to go to each time I visit.

4. Trent Hawkins says:

I had no idea that Edna Mode was based on a real person.

5. JerryR says:

I had no idea who she was when I stumbled upon this exhibit in Hong Kong:

A giant, orange, dotted pumpkin is quite amusing out of context.

6. Downpressor says:

Dots on a phone. Yeah thats about all I can expect from AU. Wake me up when they get number portability right in this country.

yo yo yo ya phone is mad ugly and you need to do something whit that borke ass phone… and ya hair is some stuff other cuz you look like a clown and you need to stop make dis wack ass phone cvuz i just wisted my time looking at da broke phone and you need to get some real heir and grow some to…