Hear me, O Monoprice

invocationmonoprice.jpg

I beheld a great wonder in the internet,
a retailer draped in cabling,
with BNC connectors at her feet.

And on her head was a diadem of twelve HDMI Type A female adapters.

Hear me, O Monoprice, hear and save.

O thou queen of value and mercy,
thou crowned with the bulk CAT-5,
thou hauled as with plenum cable through dark drop ceilings.

Hear me, O Monoprice, hear and save.

O thou who art in reasonable pricing manifest.
Thou bride and queen as thou art mother and daughter of the Slain One.
O thou who dost ship thine cabling from the Orient.

Hear me, O Monoprice, hear and save by thy sacred fruit, the MiniDisplay Port to HDMI connector that thou hast brought to life.
O thou Lady of the rainbow HDMI 1.3a, thy connectors plated with gold.

Open thy shopping cart to thy child, stretch forth thy arms and strain me to thy breasts. Let my lips touch thy lips ineffable.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Hear me, O Monoprice

1. trippcook says:

I love monoprice, but this is the dumbest post ever.

That was beautiful.

Sean Eric Fagan, it looks like all current Mini Display Port adapters don’t do HDMI. So sez the Wikipedia:

“Current Mini DisplayPort adaptors do not support audio. Although the Mini DisplayPort spec supports audio, it is as of yet unclear whether current Apple notebooks internally support it.”

Hopefully the notebooks do support it.

4. Sean Eric FAgan says:

#5: Monoprice claims their cable does in fact support audio. Since Apple is the only one (currently) using MDP, and they are not doing audio through the port, the only way to be sure would be to find a DisplayPort host that did have audio coming through it, and use a DP->MDP converter.

From Monoprice’s page,

*NOTE* AUDIO: This adapter will support audio only if your source device allows audio output through the Mini DisplayPorts interface. If you’re not sure, please check with the manufacturer or website, to confirm if your device allows audio out through the Mini-DP interface.

Multiple sources have confirmed that Apple is (currently?) not sending audio through them. As I said, I do not know if this is a hardware or software limitation.

5. strider_mt2k says:

So say we all!

6. Sean Eric FAgan says:

I got the Moniprice MDP->HDMI cable.

It works great, with one caveat. A MacBook was able to do 1080p to a new Samsung LCD HDTV, and it also played HD TV shows from iTMS (which are encrypted, and I presume require HDCP). So that’s all good.

The one downside is… it seems that Apple doesn’t put audio out over the MDP port. So that means no audio over HDMI. Which means two cables are still required to the TV or receiver.

I don’t know if this is a hardware or software issue. I really hope it’s software so someone can write a driver for it :).

I’m looking at one of the new Minis as a media system.