Reader Comment: “One AT&T operator once tried to convert me to Jesus”

The Secret Life of Plants’ comment in a thread about iPhone exclusivity made me giggle:

T-Mobile is not perfect but they are nice, and you can talk to people who have actually power. One AT&T operator once tried to convert me to Jesus and then wouldn’t let me pay my bill because I had forgotten my password. I was only trying to *give* them money but they said that it was a security risk if I didn’t remember my password. This was after the warrantless wiretapping thing. I told her that I didn’t give a shit if Saddam Hussein wanted to pay my bill and she hung up on me. I have been happy with T-Mobile ever since.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Reader Comment: “One AT&T operator once tried to convert me to Jesus”

I used to work as a support drone for AT&T, and I can completely confirm that their residential support people are completely useless. They can’t offer a credit, and if you demand one they’ll need to talk to managers. Most of the options in their software is blocked out without managerial approval, and the buttons they can press, they’re afraid to use at the risk of losing their jobs.

I worked in business care, and we would bend over backwards to make the customer happy. $250 credit? Sure, no problem. $750 credit? Yeah, I’ll have to run it past my manager, but I can get it for after a 90 second hold. You want dual ring service so both your phones ring for one number? Yeah, even though that’s a feature we haven’t offered since the early 90′s, it can be done. You want your account split into 5 accounts for tax purposes?

In business care we were allowed to accept payments from unverified callers, no problems whatsoever, no questions asked. We simply couldn’t divulge any personal details about the account (which, unfortunately included the balance.)

2. seespotmaul says:

Guess this is common – my auto loan company would not let me pay over the phone because I could not remember the password. Later, I called them to try to arrange for them to accept payment on my behalf from anyone. They cited security too – what’s the security risk involved in accepting a payment? B

3. RedShirt77 says:

“what’s the security risk involved in accepting a payment?”

It’s a major threat to their late fee collection earnings. I suppose such an opening could be used to give illegal gifts. Imagine how many people would try to call up and pay Obama’s cell bill every month.

T-Mobile is the only phone company I DON’T HATE. :) They are awesome. AT&T is quiet possibly the worst phone company in the world. :)

SEESPOTMAUL – I think you are missing the point. This is not an opportunity to discuss security practices, but for the fanboys to give us a rousing rendition of the IPhone hymn, gently harmonized by the voices of those who accept that their iPhone may not be perfect, but secure that all of its failing are the fault of AT&T.

In 5…4…3…2…1…

6. emad964 says:

good

7. emad964 says:

I agree. Att&t are crooks! Plain and simple. One time I called them because my bill was not right. The young girl started to help me but then got impatient. I ask to speak to her manager. She told me to hold. Then She finally screamed at me and said her manager said I need to pay my bill. I told her I wanted to speak to the manager. She said that the manager had said that she did not need to talk to me. I told the girl to tell the manager that even if im wrong she should still talk to me and help me understand. She put me on hold and then said her manager already left for the day. I called back and talked to someone higher up. Come to find out att was charging me for intenet that I had shut off months ago. Att customer service…….Shame on you! You judge people and talk to people like they are kids! They apoligized but I really wanted one from the manager and that dumb girl. The only place that’s worst than at&t is 911….but I could be wrong.