iHouse SmartFaucet perhaps a little too much so

ihouse-smart-faucet_sTuWO_48.jpg.jpg

Shopping for fixtures would tend to suggest finding a tasteful item—let’s say a faucet—that will provide trouble-free service for years to come. Or you could buy the “SmartFaucet” from Brazilian manufacturer iHouse, which users a facial recognition system to provide customized settings for each person it recognizes, outputting their preferred temperature of water while displaying email, calendar, and outside temperature on its touchscreen display. Red and blue LEDs inside give a visual indicator of how hot or cold the sluice may be.

There is a tiny part of me that actually finds this sort of nifty, but as someone who considers the bathroom a bit of a sanctuary—nevermind that I may or may not have written this post on the can—I question whether email alerts provide a compelling improvement over my current dual-analog water controls. [via Born Rich]

This entry was posted in brazil, faucets and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to iHouse SmartFaucet perhaps a little too much so

Yeesh!
    Enuf of the electronica-gadgetizing!
    These things break… soon!

My good old mechanical faucets have worked for decades with nary a hitch.

Now, I WOULD like a simple mechanical valve that can be set to a temp and hold it. All it needs is a bimetallic strip to run it – no electronics!

Signed,
    Luddite of frivolous electronic shit-products

For a very long time I have wanted something like this for the shower. Regulate the temperature and let me know if the hot water is running low.

3. Chrs says:

Just the color coding, though, and I might think about it. Having something that gives an accurate reading of the temperature would be useful!

4. pork musket says:

Can it read me erotic fanfic while I fuck the sink?

5. monstrinho_do_biscoito says:

probably more useful as a shower. i’m not that fussed about what temperature i wash my hands with so long as i doesn’t scald me.

6. danilo says:

Second your remarks, Chrs. Right now there’s no good way to quickly tell the temperature of running water, lame joystick faucets aside. Using light seems like a nobrainer.

7. WalterBillington says:

It should tell you also what the temp is ABOUT to be. I see the point, I see the replacement LEDs / bulbs / whatever, I see the hassle and limescale and gunk, and I know, I can tell the temp of water by wagging a finger through it. Or if it’s steamy, being very very careful.

8. Moriarty says:

Seems like a parody. The only faucet tech I can maybe get behind is motion sensor activation in public restrooms, which actually are considerably more sanitary (even if most of them have timers set annoyingly short).

9. muteboy says:

It will email all your friends if you don’t wash your hands after #2’s

they’ve got “something like this for the shower”…
    can’t tell you about the water running low, but there are cures for that too; “On-demand” hot water tanks actually provide endless hot water, but are still subject to other hot water demands in the house.

All costs money though. Trucks and trucks of money.

Sometimes it’s cheaper just to hire yourself out to yourself at $## per hour, for those minutes when it matters. If you need to, you can give yourself a poor performance review if you get scalded.

11. Category says:

Is that a mirror behind it? If so, why isn’t the water flowing in the reflection?

12. pork musket says:

What’s wrong with, say, a thermometer?