Stereographic images of Tokyo

3021475559_e701c2dc92.jpg

These photographs of Tokyo taken by heiwa4126 are amazing. He used an ultra-wide fisheye lens to create 360°x180° panoramas using stereographic projection–a technique used in geometry to map a sphere onto a plane.

heiwa4126′s Flickr set [via Pink Tentacle]

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Stereographic images of Tokyo

1. Cowicorn says:

What does the camera itself look like?

2. dargaud says:

I have some similar 360 images on my site, with views of Antarctica.

3. KanedaJones says:

I was going to complain about it not actualy being as advertised but I held my tongue until I read thru everything – noted I was thinking stereoscopic instead of stereographic. aaah.

what a shame though these pics are great on their own but stereoscopic would add to it ;)

so this is where the Super Mario Galaxy level designs came from?

5. JeffreyMartin says:

You can see more of Heiwa4126′s panoramas (in “proper” interactive format, ahem ;-) here:

be sure to go fullscreen. And then, right-click and choose “stereographic” projection to get this effect but in a trippy movable fashion :)

6. apoxia says:

Those images are seriously excellent. I also found dargaud’s site linked to in comment #3 very interesting, particularly seeing how the images can be reversed to provide two very distinct interpretations of the same scene. These photos would look lovely as art hanging on my wall :)