Network card of the future never stops networking

1-sleeptalking.jpg

Behold the fruits of the Somniloquy project, whose intent is the create augmented network interfaces that allow computers to keep talkin’ after they’ve gone to sleep.

The team built a small USB-connected hardware and software plug-in system that allows a PC to remain in sleep mode while continuing to maintain network presence and run well-defined application functions. It supports instant messaging applications, VoIP, large background web downloads, peer-to-peer file sharing networks such as BitTorrent, and remote access. The computer scientists say their system is easily extensible to support other applications.

All it needs now is a cocktail umbrella.

‘Sleep talking’ PCs save energy and money [Physorg]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Network card of the future never stops networking

1. Itsumishi says:

Most devices when in some kind of sleep mode draw tiny amounts of power. There are of course exceptions to this rule, but for the most part any tv, microwave, etc (basicly anything with a clock or remote as you say) use very little power to keep these functions going. Hell half the time leaving One lightbulb on in your house will draw more power than all your sleeping appliances combined.

Air conditioners on the other hand…

2. Enochrewt says:

#5: Thanks Mr. Beschizza, I keep forgetting I haven’t done that for every computer I look at BB on.

3. Rodney says:

I’ve known a few people who can go into sleep mode and keep networking.

“well defined application functions” soon to include zombie malware.

Last thing we need is more broadband-connected idiots who are too lazy or stupid to turn their systems off.

The fake “energy crisis” that Californians enjoyed not too long ago could have easily been stopped by California’s citizens if they simply eliminated their “phantom loads” (generated by people’s always-on PCs, ceiling fans, stereos, TV, microwave ovens, etc. etc. etc. if it has a clock or a remote control it’s always on) with power strips.

5. Enochrewt says:

#3: If your desktop isn’t ancient, you probably already have the ability to wake it up remotely, the feature just isn’t turned on. Here’s a guide from Smallnetbuilders.com that walks you through the process.

As a side note to the BB/BBG staff, is there a reason why I can’t preview my comments anymore? I get this error:

Publish error in template ‘Comment Preview': Error in tag: error in module Comment Detail: Publish error in template ‘Comment Detail': Error in tag: Unknown tag found: CommenterLoginName

6. stumo says:

I’d buy it. Often I want to get at files remotely, meaning I have to leave a big clunky desktop on full power. Anything that let me SSH to it to turn the computer properly on would be great.

7. Rob Beschizza says:

Enochrewt, clear your cookies and shift-refresh the page.

8. Agies says:

@1 Putting a PC into sleep mode is probably better than powering it on and off multiple times during the day. Plus if the PC is off then when do you run virus scans, backups and other important but time consuming tasks?

Putting electronics on a power strip is great if you want to go back to the days of 12:00 flashing at you all the time. Frankly more devices need built in storage of user settings, but until that happens I’m saving my own energy and not re-programming stuff every time I turn it on.