Berserker Cycle’s off-road recumbent trike

thumb-outdoors-cover-750.jpg

Berserker Cycle Design’s Lucas Whipple writes:

I work for BCD and I’m pretty proud of our product. It’s an off-road tricycle, the first of it’s kind to offer a recumbent with real off-road capability. It was designed by our CEO Adam Stephens after a nasty meeting between his carbon fiber Kestrel and a 12-food drop left him with some back injuries. It’s the product of over 3 years of design iteration and prototyping. Handbuilt in San Luis Obispo, CA.

Prices start at around $5k, and electric assist packages are available.

This entry was posted in berseker and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Berserker Cycle’s off-road recumbent trike

1. bellinghamster says:

Cool trike! I really like the idea of independent front and rear suspension. But as the folks at Terra Trikes have pointed out not the first off road tadpole (dual front steering) style recumbent trike. As for delta style trikes (single front steering & dual rear) check out the German made Hase Bike Kettwiesel Ride off road trike (http://www.hasebikes.com/30-1-recumbent-trike-kettwiesel-ride.html). They have been refining their off road trike design for several years now. Especially neat is the differential that drives both rear wheels. Go to the media page to see video of them in action and being built. Still the Berserker is a cool looking trike.

2. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Michigan has pretty tame offroad riding but I still cannot see that navigating anything other than flattish dirt paths. Offroad has bumps. A conventional bike has a single track and hits plenty of them. A trike has 3 tracks and hits more. And maneuverability? Fine for grannies, I suppose but if your back really is too jacked up to ride a conventional bike offroad I think you’re better off just taking a nice hike.

Garbage..lose 15 lbs, offer better components and reduce your price by $1,500.

Rick Horwitz

They did it alright ;-) but $5k’s for something that looks like a homebuilt out of mild steel, and has $300 worth of components on it!!??? are you guys insane !?

5. wingbatwu says:

For comparison, check out the Stein Trikes’ Max Max Evo 1 video here:

It certainly isn’t the first recumbent to offer true off-road capability. The BikeE FX beat it to that claim by a good seven years (http://www.bikee.org/FX-overview.htm.). When I worked there back in the day we took them out to Moab and rode Amasa Back, Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider Mesa to name a few. Once you got the hang of the wheelie you could ride just about anything.

As has been pointed out by others, I believe this trike was designed with all-terrain in mind. Look at the specifications for the Berserker. It offers 5″ of front suspension travel, and 6″ of rear travel. Show me one of these other trikes that offer that, or the 24″ wheels that allow you to go over larger objects, and bigger rutts.

Terra trikes – no susspension, made in china

BikeE – looks like another jarring ride with those baby tires.

Hase – has a front suspension but I wouldnt take it over any significant terrain, as it will tip over in the corners

Stein trike – those small tires look like they would catch a log/rut and put you out flat.

Just my thoughts….I don’t see where anyone has done what Berserker Did

-Lucas Whipple

Why does everything suitable for me, a person with restrictions due to back injury, cost an enormous amount of money. I can’t do my roof, hire a roofer, can’t shovel, buy a snowblower, can’t cut wood, buy it now, can’t bicycle, now they cost 2500, I can’t get the 3 speed because my back is week and I’d be pushing it, if I could, up hills. People with disabilities are assumed to have unlimited money? This kind of depressing surfing brings me closer to hanging myself, I could avoid everything, but I’m trying to find some sort of hope or just anything to look forward to, some sort of fun in the midst of all this pain. Sry about my bad luck story, my vent.

9. Chris S says:

“a nasty meeting between his carbon fiber Kestrel and a 12-food drop left him with some back injuries”

Wow.

That must have been some lump of food.

That said, I’ve always felt that tadpole trikes were an ideal bike, far better suited to most transport needs than the two-wheelers. Just make sure you’ve got a flag for operating in traffic.

An electric tadpole would be fantastic, and if you could shell it, it might be ideal for all weather commuting yet still (because of the pedals and only three wheels) remain a bicycle, needing neither driver nor vehicle licensing.

10. bardfinn says:

I’m fairly certain that this is the most awesome product of nethack inspiration.

What, not twelve foods you say?

Not the only one.

We have 10 models that can be ridden off road.

Chonk

The BikeE RX was revolutionary for its time. My BikeE AT with a 20″ front wheel/RANS fork upgrade is much more off-roadable than the RX, however. I can find 2.25″ wide 406 tires for my AT and nothing wide in the 349 size on the RX.

This is some very nice engineering, heck, I’d love one. But at five grand, well, best of luck!

I think the point being made by the manufacturer is that this machine was designed for off road as opposed to being usable off road. For example, I don’t believe that any of the Terra Trikes have full suspension.

14. strider_mt2k says:

It’s not the 12-food drop that kills ya, it’s stopping right after desert.