Behind the scenes look at the design of a poor product

griffin_aircurve_06-728-75.jpg

TechRadar has an interview with several of the design heads at Griffin, maker of generally quality Apple aftermarket accessories, made all the more fascinating as the product they use as a case study is the AirCurve, a powerless amplifier for the iPhone that is just awful. [via Core77]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Behind the scenes look at the design of a poor product

1. Clif Marsiglio says:

My powermate ROCKED…hell, I’ve had two and they both disappeared with former employees.

I still talk to one guy and he is using it as his video scroll / jog for Final Cut and it is working as well as the day he asked to ‘borrow’ it. At this point, he’s done enough work for me that I consider it a worthwhile investment…but I think I might have to grab a third.

If Anonymous’s broke after two weeks, why wasn’t it returned? Most consumer electronics have at LEAST 30 days…

2. milovoo says:

Sure, they may have struck out with the AirCurve,
    but I LOVE my PowerMate as much as the day I bought it. I have never had a sturdier and more attractive device. I have recommended it to friends who have also loved it. So personally I would still cut them some slack for the occasional misses. (no I don’t work there, just a company I like)

I dunno, that person talking about the powermate may have been paid; mine was held onto its ‘base’ with what appeared to be a thin circle of elmer’s glue, and came off the base about two weeks after buying it.

4. milovoo says:

Nope, not paid (note the final parenthetical note)

I actually have 2 of them and know several friends who own them and have NEVER seen a problem. Only two weeks you say? I agree with Clif, You should have gone for the warranty repair.

5. Jason says:

I have an iTrip that works wonders with my iPod. Griffin’s always made good stuff and, while it may suck as a dock, the AirCurve does do what it was originally intended to do, that is: Amplify the music without electricity. Even in the attached review the music was much more audible. I’d say mission accomplished.

6. seaanemoneman says:

Agreed with #2, the top element of the PowerMate is definitely attached only by a thin circle of what looks to be Elmer’s glue.

That being said, it’s an awesome device, and if they can glue it, so can I.