QWERTY bike grips

odiseey.jpg

When I was a small child, I really liked BMX Bandits. Later, I liked computers. If only I’d had these to segue my interests as a nipper. [Product Page via Wired and Art of Trackstand]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to QWERTY bike grips

1. bbonyx says:

I miss the days of the early 80′s when saying “My Oakleys” meant your grips rather than your sunglasses.

/Oakley 3s (Diamond Back Med Pro)
    /Oakley 5s (Torker)
    /Now just Oakley Wire Es (My face)

2. jwz says:

I would buy these if they were in fact QWERTY (and UIOP). They’re not. The keys spell out the manufacturer’s name instead. That’s totally weak.

3. BMX says:

If you’re into BMX, these are actually pretty funny. They are made by Odyssey and are Aaron Ross’ pro model grips. Aaron is know for making some hard tricks look easy – like he’s got a button on his bike he just presses. If you look there are buttons for ‘whip’ (as in tailwhip), spin (as in 360) and ‘hop’ (as in bunnyhop). No, I don’t work for Odyssey, but do respect Aaron cause that dude shreds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGMdBNOcbYA&feature=related (quality is low). Wild to see BMX on BoingBoing…

4. Micheal Kelly says:

Steve Roberts (the guy who rode across the US on a several bikes decked out with serious computer gear in the 80s) built a functional chording keyboard into his handlebars so he could write while riding:

5. retrocyclist says:

The talk about oakley bike grips has given me a great idea for a feature on Retro Cycling Vintage . A bit of fact finding is needed on both the early factory pilot glasses and more importantly the Oakley grips. I wonder if they’d ever consider making them again?

6. concrete_jungler says:

I’ll ditto JWZ on that one. Its like “my adidas, psych!” Slightly disappointed. Won’t be rocking these on the bike polo court.

7. aalas says:

I happend upon this artilce durring my daily BMX Google news search. I hate to burst you bublle but these grips have been out for about 2 years now. Of course I’m useally behind on my tech news. But I suppose as a 36 year old father of two who still rides “kids” bikes i should be flattered. cheap cigarettes