Video: The Killdozer of Granby, Colorado

Five years ago today, Marvin Heemeyer drove an armored bulldozer through the town of Granby, Colorado, causing $7 million worth of damage before shooting himself rather than giving up to the police.

“Happy birthday! I hope you’re pushing clouds in heaven.” said YouTube commenter Ditch2012.

Killdozer Rides Again! from Kevin Henry on Vimeo.

Kevin Henry, hometown boy from Granby, made this tribute video, which features then-and-now images of destroyed buildings, as well as an epic mini-Killdozer vs. Roomba battle.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Video: The Killdozer of Granby, Colorado

1. bazzargh says:

I thought the first video seemed a bit off too – but without it, I wouldn’t have understood the context of the second one, which is inspired.

Yes, its sad that Heemeyer died, and I’m sure theres a story to tell there; but Kevin’s video celebrates a community surviving an attempt to destroy it. And the gallows humour of the toy trying to bulldoze the Granby sign is hilarious.

2. Non-entity says:

Somebody watched waaaaaaaay too much of The A-Team.

… c’mon, where else would he have gotten the idea to build that thing?

3. O_M says:

…Well, it appears that the song was correct after all: One night in Bangkok leaves a hard man humble.

4. nehpetsE says:

Carradine VS Killdozer!!!

If only…

Nice vids, thanks Joel.

At the risk of igniting the usual firestorm (at least it’ll get us off Carridine’s Bode-style exit)…

When an individual does this without hurting anyone else, it’s labeled “a psychotic criminal act”, but when an oppressive theocratic state does it while crushing innocents right and left it’s labeled “justified self defense”.

6. O_M says:

…Kinda ironic that it’s also the 35th anniversary of Cleveland’s infamous 10-cent Beer Night. Wonder if there might be a connection we never realized after all this time.

7. nehpetsE says:

AND the 10 year Anniversary of Tiananmen square.

It must all be connected somehow.
    speaking of things being connected…

Apropos of Carradine’s departure,
    If wiki is to be believed
    “Bangkok Post reported that his body was found curled up in the wardrobe with a shoelace tied around his penis and neck.
    Carradine’s representative and family members told the press that they believed the death to be accidental and not a suicide.
    Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot his latest movie, “Stretch”.”

WAY more in keeping with his over all awesomeness than than suicide IMHO.

8. Stuart says:

Hollywood is remaking ‘Buffy’ but an epic story such as this is ignored?

Killdozer = awesome beyond belief.

9. Rich Lather says:

Hey gang–as the editor of the first video Joel presented to us, let me fill you in on the backstory as to how it came about:

At the time I was working for a local network TV affiliate and on my downtime I was grazing through the Something Awful forums when I happened upon the thread started for the “Killdozer” as events unfolded. So I checked the news feeds and sure enough CNN was pushing video from the site, and continued to do so for a couple of hours after things came to an end.

I happened to have my little DV camcorder, so I copied off some of the feed footage and raced home after my shift ended (midnight), threw together the video which I’d been mentally piecing together after the epihany of using that particular song, and posted it on the SA thread.

From there someone else posted it to Youtube–several someones, by the look of it.

The video was made when the story was still hot; at a time when the prevailing opinion was that Marvin Heemeyer was a man who was so fed up at the stonewalling he got from town government over fines and zoning issues that he undertook a Tony Stark-esque method of getting back at “The Man”.

10. GeekMan says:

Marvin Heemeyer’s bulldozer rampage certainly deserves no commendations. But I think that Kevin’s video strikes just the right tone of irreverent dark humour and flippancy. (I want more Roomba versus mini-Killdozer)

I think it was Cracked that put “Captain Killdozer” at the start of their short list of “Real-Life Supervillains”. Rampaging around in a heavily modified and armoured bulldozer is just something so incredibly over the top it brings up visions of schemes by C-grade comic-book supervillains. People just look at this the same way they would say, “Hey, remember that time that Dr. Chaos turned the Space Needle into a giant stick of celery? That was craaaazy.”

11. WalterBillington says:

What a cheese-head. Why the fire station? Shoulda called in an air strike from the National Guard.

Yes Carradine appears not necessarily to be a suicide. BBC reports nylon ropes. Looks like some auto-asphyxiation something or other. Like an old teacher of mine – a little fun can go long wrong. Look for the hooker. Or disciple, whatever the correct term is.

12. therevengor says:

Hmm. I find this kinda tasteless…

Maybe I’m just bummed from today’s celebrity suicide.

Sorry.

Isn’t the building identified as a “fire station” in the initial video later identified in the second as a “cement plant”? Since there aren’t any fire engines or fire fighting equipment in evidence, and the rebuilt shot shows cement-making apparatus, I tend to think it was a cement plant.