How to carry a laptop and a lapdog at the same time

IMG_0321.JPG

When I got Ruby six years ago and started taking her everywhere with me, my biggest dilemma quickly became: how do you carry a laptop and a lapdog at the same time? Most dog carriers aren’t made to fit human stuff, and even if you’re just lying on the couch, you can’t really put both on your lap. Ruby and my MacBook, it turns out, are surprisingly similar in many ways. They both weigh less than 10lbs, take up a lot of room, and get really hot if I leave them on my lap for too long. Also, they both want to go everywhere with me, I’m often forced to choose between one or the other because I don’t want to carry two bags. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has struggled with this.

I still haven’t solved the problem of how to have both on your lap at the same time, but Sherpa‘s new Sport carrier series solves the portability issue, but there is finally a way to carry a laptop and a lapdog at the same time, in the same bag, even on an airplane. The sport sac pet carrier comfortably fits a 13″ MacBook and a 10lb miniature pinscher, plus it has interior compartments for credit cards and keys, including a velcro pocket for a cell phone. If you have a netbook and a bunch of gear (cameras, voice recorders, etc) the sports wheels pet carrier is, like, a lapdog-owning geek’s dream. It has wheels and straps that turn it into a backpack. Also, the rubber wiring in the front holds a water bottle, and there’s an outer pocket for wallets and keys and cell phones. Perfect.

Sherpa’s actually kind of a cool company for those of us concerned with pet portability. The founder, Gayle Martz, was a flight attendant for 20+ years, and she pioneered the pet-in-cabin movement by creating cabin-safe bags and lobbying for the right to carry small animals on board a plane. She founded the company in 1990, and her bags can be found in almost any pet store. I never wanted one until now, though, because I found the traditional Sherpa styles (black, boxy duffels) pretty drab. The Sport line, which debuts this month, changed that for me. I’m digging the bright colors and simple style, and the practicality of it &mdash carry-friendly straps, multiple pockets, lots of mesh for good air ventilation &mdash makes me wonder why other dog bag brands haven’t thought of this stuff.

Product page [Sherpa]

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in laptops, Pets, Theme Post. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to How to carry a laptop and a lapdog at the same time

1. frenchtoastkiss says:

So I’m not trying to be sarcastic here, but does your dog walk places? Or would you use this more for like going in businesses and stuff like that? Or does she have subluxating patellae, in which case tell her I’m sorry for being insensitive. I guess I’m just wondering about the mentality of “lap-dog” people…I mean, they are small, but their legs still work right? I guess I could see it being a problem trying to walk around downtown where it’s busy…

2. kaka says:

one of them has luxating patellas. They still love to walk but they don’t like the noise of busy sidewalks, the threat of people stepping on them, and inquisitive large puppies nursing school

3. kaka says:

Unfortunately two dogs don’t really fit comfortably in most bags, so I usually leave them at home. This is neat, but I’d like to see a double-decker. nursing school

4. kaka says:

cold are dangerous (try walking on salty ice barefoot sometime), and they just really hate getting wet. I hate to see even big dogs limping along because their owners don’t realize that they have frostbite and the road salt is stinging their paws. PhD sociology

5. kaka says:

I usually leave them at home. This is neat, but I’d like to see a double-decker. Distance learning

6. kaka says:

walk places? Or would you use this more for like going in businesses and stuff like that? Or does she have subluxating patellae, in which case tell her I’m sorry for being insensitive. online business degree

7. kaka says:

the noise of busy sidewalks, the threat of people stepping on them, and inquisitive large puppies Music degree

8. VSC says:

HeatherB and I may be the only people reading BBG to care about this, but I *love* this.

Of course, I don’t have a dog small enough to fit in this, but I do have a blue tongue skink who is used to riding around in dog bags :)

9. stratosfyr says:

My dogs are also tiny (11 lbs total), 8 years old, and one of them has luxating patellas. They still love to walk but they don’t like the noise of busy sidewalks, the threat of people stepping on them, and inquisitive large puppies. I’ve walked them about 2km a few times, and they’ve enjoyed it, but they’re usually really exhausted at the end of it.

On very hot, sub-zero, or rainy days, forget it. Heat and cold are dangerous (try walking on salty ice barefoot sometime), and they just really hate getting wet. I hate to see even big dogs limping along because their owners don’t realize that they have frostbite and the road salt is stinging their paws.

10. HeatherB says: